What's new

OpenVPN Client Problems with Asus DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shekinah

New Around Here
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help please?

I am using a recently purchased DSL-AC68U using the latest firmware version and connected to iMac by ethernet.

When setting up an OpenVPN Client, it allows me to connect to the internet and within a minute disconnects. On two occasions the set up connected to the internet, allowed me to access websites using my Mac but completely cut off all wireless devices.

Now it will show an IP/Routing conflict which shows in the log file (even after rebooting) but which I have read should just be ignored.

If I try to set up an L2TP connection I get an error message in the log that says: "/usr/sbin/l2tpd[29810]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (12855/0); closing down".

Using PPTP works perfectly with encryption but I do need OpenVPN and L2TP at the least.

In the past I used an RT-N66U with Merlin firmware flashed and this worked perfectly until the router died. I have just found out that I can't flash Merlin or Shibby as I have bought a DSL and not an RT unit. Of course, the DSL unit's firmware will not give me access to the tweaks that these releases will allow.

As I live in UK I don't think I can return the unit (it's only been a few days but it does do what the retailer claims - connects to the internet) but if anyone here knows differently please let me know and I'll grab an RT unit. I bought it from a PC World retail store.

As a VPN provider I use VyprVPN.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help please?

I am using a recently purchased DSL-AC68U using the latest firmware version and connected to iMac by ethernet.

When setting up an OpenVPN Client, it allows me to connect to the internet and within a minute disconnects. On two occasions the set up connected to the internet, allowed me to access websites using my Mac but completely cut off all wireless devices.

Now it will show an IP/Routing conflict which shows in the log file (even after rebooting) but which I have read should just be ignored.

If I try to set up an L2TP connection I get an error message in the log that says: "/usr/sbin/l2tpd[29810]: Too many retransmissions on tunnel (12855/0); closing down".

Using PPTP works perfectly with encryption but I do need OpenVPN and L2TP at the least.

In the past I used an RT-N66U with Merlin firmware flashed and this worked perfectly until the router died. I have just found out that I can't flash Merlin or Shibby as I have bought a DSL and not an RT unit. Of course, the DSL unit's firmware will not give me access to the tweaks that these releases will allow.

As I live in UK I don't think I can return the unit (it's only been a few days but it does do what the retailer claims - connects to the internet) but if anyone here knows differently please let me know and I'll grab an RT unit. I bought it from a PC World retail store.

As a VPN provider I use VyprVPN.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks
Paul
What VPN provider are you using? If its PIA they changed their configuration files and you need to change ports and add new certificates. I don't think its got anything to do with the router as much as your configuration.

'Latest firmware version' is not descriptive/specific enough.

Is that the beta or final versions? Please specify a full version number.

Was a reset to factory defaults followed after flashing the firmware you are using? Followed by a minimal and manual configuration? If not, make sure you actually have the latest firmware installed and follow the following links to set the hardware to a known good state before troubleshooting further.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Hi guys. Thanks for getting back to me.

Yorgi, my VPN provider is VyprVPN (Goldenfrog.com).

As far as I can tell (used to use Merlin on my N66U) the set up on factory firmware won't allow me to change ports as there is no 'advanced' option in OpenVPN set up, except for Certificate Authority, Client Certificate, Client Key, Static Key and Certificate Revocation List. The Certificate Authority is uploaded when I select Input .ovpn file. No other tweaks or changes are available. The certificate uploaded from VyprVPN worked a couple of times over hard wired ethernet connection - not for wireless - and then no lasting connection at all.

L&LD, my set up is:
DSL Firmware Version: 1.0.3.6
DSL Driver Version: FwVer:5.5.2.3_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
Signature Version: 1.124
Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.380_3281-g54348d0

These apparently are the latest from Asus and not beta.

Will take a look at the links you provided now and report back.

Any other thoughts in the meantime would be most welcome.

Your firmware version is the latest by version number (380.3281), but not by date (sorry, I don't know which would be the 'true' latest version) judging by what is available on the Asus website.

Try a reset to defaults and a minimal and manual configuration (along with any changes as necessary to using new ssid's and passwords to ensure they are using only alphanumeric characters and/or resetting each device's network properties you own to 'forget' and re-associate to your router) and see if the issues are still present.

Hi L&LD

Meticulously went through the the reset protocols suggested (thanks) but the same problem occurred.

When I say meticulously, couldn't find the following from one of the lists mentioned in your links:
JFFS format option
Preamble Type: Short
Disable NFSD
Disable Network Share
Disable Media Server

However, no other 'features' like USB Application and AI Cloud etc., are enabled, so I hope that covers the points above.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with my VPN connection as tweaks I could make with the Merlin firmware are not available in stock firmware.

For what it's worth, I notice on my router's WAN - NAT Passthrough section, there is no option to enable OpenVPN.

If there are any other thoughts and suggestions they would be appreciated, and I may well contact my VPN provider to see if they have some thoughts too.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help out here.

UPDATE:
Have spoken to VyprVPN who got me to change DNS servers to Comodo DNS and all is working - as of the last ten minutes.

Thanks again.

Last edited: