What's new

OpenVPN default traffic through VPN, however select clients for WAN traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madfusker

Regular Contributor
I have the opposite problem of every post I find on here. Most people want their NAS to be the only thing on the VPN whereas I want everything but the NAS to be there. If I set Redirect Internet Traffic to "policy rules", then I must select EVERY client IP and add a rule that says VPN or WAN. The problem is when a DCHP client connects it will not go through VPN. If I select All traffic, there is no way to set the exception IP for the NAS. Anyone know how to make the default VPN, but then specify exceptions such as a NAS? Search only turns up the opposite of this.

Thanks,
-MH

I have the opposite problem of every post I find on here. Most people want their NAS to be the only thing on the VPN whereas I want everything but the NAS to be there. If I set Redirect Internet Traffic to "policy rules", then I must select EVERY client IP and add a rule that says VPN or WAN. The problem is when a DCHP client connects it will not go through VPN. If I select All traffic, there is no way to set the exception IP for the NAS. Anyone know how to make the default VPN, but then specify exceptions such as a NAS? Search only turns up the opposite of this.

Thanks,
-MH

There are several replies in the main 'Selective Routing' and the 'OPENVPN Policy Routing' threads (but I found it is best to use Google to specify a search in this forum).

So you need the following RPDB Policy rules (replace 192.168.1 with your subnet if required)

Code:
192.168.1.0/24   0.0.0.0   VPN (all LAN devices)
192.168.1.xxx    0.0.0.0   WAN (your NAS)

192.168.1.1      0.0.0.0   WAN (so router isn't routed via VPN unless of course you need this)

Last edited:
I thought I had tried that, but did so again and it works. Thanks a lot! I also found the 'Selective Routing' and the 'OPENVPN Policy Routing' threads which are a great help. Huge thumbs up to Merlin for this selective routing feature!