What's new

OpenVPN difficulties

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jvamos

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

I have tried to get VPN working in the past and have let it beat me. This week will be different. I am trying to get an OpenVPN implementation going as I want the encryption but at this point would take any kind of connection that I could use SMB through. I can connect to it via tunnelblick on OS X but I receive an error that my IP hasn't changed which it hasn't. I believe I have everything configured. Is there literature I should see? Troubleshooting a protocol you know nothing about that obscures protocols you know limited information on isn't easy.
I am taking Comptia training but haven't gotten to the point where I can solve this myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

OK success, I have been able to log in and see the network volumes easily. I just changed from TAP to TUN on advice from a thread here. The performance is a little bit slow. What kind of disk read/write performance should one expect? Is PPTP suggested for performance and reducing overhead?

OK success, I have been able to log in and see the network volumes easily. I just changed from TAP to TUN on advice from a thread here. The performance is a little bit slow. What kind of disk read/write performance should one expect? Is PPTP suggested for performance and reducing overhead?
Are you using tcp or ump in VPN? Use UDP, as TCP does not make sense in VPN (there are some situations but normally UDP is better - and faster.
TUN or TAP - it depends sometimes what operating system are you using, there are some problems with interfaces. E.g. there were (or maybe still is, I reported this bug) problem with DNS tunnelling using one of them in windows 10.

Hey przemekwawa,

Thanks for the response. I am using UDP and it does appear that OS X 10.8.5 is having an issue with a TUN interface. I'll do more testing and report back. Is PPTP a good option?