What's new

OpenVPN in RMerlin, to only connect to Internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bamsefar

I would like to be able to connect over VPN from outside with my mobile or PC, to my Asus AC88 router, with RMerlin firmware and AdBlock and som more stuff. Now the thing is I would like to limit the connection to ONLY be VPN "home" and use the AdBlock over VPN - BUT NO ACCESS to the internal network. Maybe one could say like this: A VPN client that is handled just like a "guest" WiFi network works which has only access to Internet?

This made me laugh. Lol...

Far easier to just use adblock on the device you're using when you're out and about.

But, I have seen some others use VPN like this (without the requirement of 'no LAN access' at all).

I am happy you enjoyed it... However there are reasons to doing what I am doing already.... The quest is to limit access to internal network.

If the quest is to limit access to the internal network, then don't use a VPN at all. ;)

When it's enabled, configured and out in the wild, it already opens up the possibility that your network is not as secure as you'd like (or think) it would be.

Hope someone can give you the steps to do this, but myself, I can't see how that is actually possible (a VPN opens up a connection to your destination; you want it opened and effectively closed).

I see that you still don't understand why och what I am trying to do - that is fine, however you should investigate in why I am trying this before cutting my feet off.

I see that you still don't understand why och what I am trying to do - that is fine, however you should investigate in why I am trying this before cutting my feet off.

I hope you're correct (and that I will learn alongside you when the answer you want is provided).

But, maybe it's because I do understand that I find it impossible?

Not trying to take the wind from your sails. Just trying to prevent you from chasing wild geese or re-inventing the wheel when you have another one you could use, right beside you. ;)

Well I give up then. You are so totally wrong in this subject. But there is no way I will ever be able to convince you about why to use VPN back home, and NOT gain access to the inside.

And since it seems impossible to do in Asus routers, I see no other way than pfsense or sophos.

Over and Out!

Well, I certainly didn't expect that response.

I don't need to be convinced with how you want to use VPN.

But I do think you're being very impetuous by 'giving up'. Have some faith, it's the weekend.

Maybe somebody will see this in the next few days and give a helping hand?

Set "Push LAN to clients" to "No" on the server configuration page. It might not be 100% fool-proof (someone determined might be able to work around that by manually configuring a route to your LAN subnet), if you want to actively block access, you'll have to do it manually through some iptables rules.