What's new

OpenVPN on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok manually overclock via telnet as I can read - but people talk about bootloader versions .

My boot loader is 1.0.2.0 - Can i overclock it? :)

Ok manually overclock via telnet as I can read - but people talk about bootloader versions .

My boot loader is 1.0.2.0 - Can i overclock it? :)
Yes, make sure the option on the Admin/Performance tuning page is set to LED, not overclock....

then

mvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram commit
reboot

start with 1000,800 to make sure it works, then try 1200,800. If the router hangs, you'll have to do a WPS reset to recover it, so save a config file before you start.

Another thing I've noticed in fw 378.51 I see this in Performance tuning:
Note: Your router bootloader version is incompatible with Turbo (overclock) mode.
So I can't OverClock: Press the button to turn on overclock, release the button to turn off.?? :(

The warning is only specifically about the use of the Turbo button. You can still manually play with the nvram settings.

I need to completely remove the support for that Turbo button anyway, as people are all upgraded to newer bootloaders by now due to the 64 MB partition change.

Guys you are damn good :)

Works - and now I archive aprox 27,56 Mbps . Stable and not overheating . Temperature is now 74c and I put the router to stream a movie directly from my Plex server from the Netherlands - VPN to Sweden - to Netherlands and home - no lag.. and running smoothly :)

So next step could be 1100,800 ? Just to I dont over doit ?

Im very pleased with the help and kindness in here - Superior support guys :)

Thanks

Morphy, the lines that crash openvpn on the router are the tcp-nodelay.

your ISP is probably throttling UDP speed a little. have you already tried UDP port 53?

Hi mate .
Ok gonna remove that line then :)

Well nope havent tried that port - can try tonight :)

So UDP with Port 53 and can I use Encryption cipher: AES-128-CBC ? Or should I use default settings?

Cheers :)

I have the RT-AC68R and have been lurking and struggling with pia for quite some time, never getting great speeds, hit and miss. I often found myself shutting down the vpn and going to pia to test their server speeds, then changing and reloading pia again (usually a little better). Lately, I had been noticing really poor speeds on their servers and decided to check out Astrill as some on this forum have from time to time suggested.

I bought the 2 year plan that included proAddon (for routers) and stealthVPN. I'm not thrilled that proAddon is propriety and one can't see what is going on but man what a difference! Very fast and very stable. It runs 24/7 on my router with speed reduction less then a third.

I *really* wanted pia to work for me but am happy paying a little more for the steady speeds.

I just looked and I don't see the 2 year package I bought, but if you go to their site and click on the live help (usually takes a while for someone to come on) you might ask . I had to ask for the "free 7 day trial". He gave me the link and instructions. I had to ask him to add the "proAddon" to the 7 day trial so that I could adequately test potential speed on my router, which he then added. After two days of switching back and forth between pia and astrill , I bought the astrill 2 year plan.

So happy I had to say.

Using PIA here and never had any issues with speed, but I suppose it all depends on your connection :)

Would it be possible to route only certain traffic to the VPN-server?
Could static routes be used for this?
My thinking is like this:
If the primary use-case for VPN is to avoid geo-locking, then you are probably only interested in a couple of services, such as Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer or whatever. If you knew the IP-addresses of the servers that you need to connect to, should you not be able to create a static route which re-directs only those calls to the VPN-servers? If so, then all other traffic would run "outside" the VPN-tunnel at the highest possible speed.

What do you think?

Well my download speed without PIA is 113,25Mbps = 14MB/s - so I got plenty of speed :)

@hsan I have PIA and bought for 1 year - though its aprox 3-4 months ago I bought it.. cheap but good servers in EU :)

Hi mate .
Ok gonna remove that line then :)

Well nope havent tried that port - can try tonight :)

So UDP with Port 53 and can I use Encryption cipher: AES-128-CBC ? Or should I use default settings?

Cheers :)
default cipher for everything but udp port 1196

Now OC to 1200,800 and close to 40Mbps via Astrill (Not the via VPN applet, but via Merlins OpenVPN client)

Temperature stable at 75c :)

Streaming 1080p content with MAX settings from Plex - No stutter - nada.. :) WORKS.

Had similar speed issues with the openvpn client. It was resolved by turning off all the features. (e.g. AiProtection, network protection, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Statistic, etc...