What's new

OpenVpn on second router issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forever23

New Around Here
Hi all. I am having some issues and not sure where to get some help. I am trying to setup OpenVpn on my second router. I have my main Asus RT-AC68u runnign merlin as the primary gateway. Then attached to that via Lan to Lan is my E4200 running tomato shibby. I setup the VPN client and it seems to communicate. The log area shows packets coming in and out. Now when I connect a laptop to it via hardwire and go to ipchicken it still shows my external address instead of the VPN address. Also the reason I am doing this is I have devices connected to the main network that cannot run through VPN period and I also prefer to have the second router running VPN to I have some level of separation (It seems logical in my head). If anyone can help or advise of a better way to do this that would be great. I spent a good 7 hours yesterday messing with it. Any info you need just let me know. I currently have remote access to my main router but not the secondary router.

I would suggest that you put your second VPN router in its own subnet behind the primary router and then double NAT it.

1. Give your secondary VPN router a static WAN IP in the subnet of your primary router.

2. Put your VPN router in its own subnet. If the primary is 192.168.1.1 -254
you could use 192.168.2.1 - 254. Be sure to turn DHCP bacl on if you turned it off.

3. Connect a cable from a LAN port on the primary router to the WAN port on the VPN router.

Works fine for me.

Thank you for your insight. I will try that this weekend. Now a couple of questions though once I get that setup. Firstly will there be a way for that devices hooked up on the second router(VPN) to communicate with the devices on the rest of my network? Also what about reach that network from the outside. Would I just need to have the main router forward it to the second router. I understand these are after I get this issue fixed questions but I want to try and get an idea a head of time of what I have to do. I really appreciate your response.

By having the two routers on different subnets they are isolated.

Depending on what you want or need to do you can set up custom routing to allow sharing of resources. Port forwarding, remote access, FTP, will allow you to do some things. If you have WiFi enabled on both routers you may find it simpler to just connect to the network you need something on.

If you want to try the custom routing search this site and look for examples and scripts created by people that have done it.

Alrighty. Thanks for the help I am in the process of working on it now. The only reason I really need to access the second router(VPN) from the other router would be that I am going to have my NAS on the second router and need my Bluray players to reach it to watch movies and such. But worst case Ill just put the bluray players on the VPN anyways.

Put the N A S and players on the same router/subnet.. Easier and probably better throughput.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

What I ended up having to do was change the router firmware on the VPN router from tomato to DD-WRT. For some reason after doing that and doing the iptables I can communicate back and forth now to an extent. I still need to test local access to Plex from the Bluray players. I know remote access to Plex isnt working since I need certain ports open so Im in the proccess of adding some more changes to the iptables to route Plex media access through ISP instead. Slowly getting there. If you could captain look over this thread if you have the time and see if this might help in routing the traffic to ISP instead. If not thanks again. https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/112441-how-to-vpn-and-plex-tutorial/