What's new

Openvpn Server hanging on initialization message.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darryl

Occasional Visitor
I'm running 384.13 on an 86U. On enabling the Openvpn server I get the following message next to the Export OpenVPN Configuration File on the GUI.

"Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection."

The problem is that Initialization does not finish and the server does not start. Entries are not being logged. Whilst this is happening the GUI does not seem to actually make some changes to the system, though it is possible to turn off the server. A restore to factory appears to work but does not. A reboot at the router is required to restore functionality.

I'm going to try restoring a backup of the settings and perhaps even reinstalling the firmware. However, any suggestions as to how to correct this problem without doing so would be appreciated.

Last edited:
First follow the nuclear reset procedure. No shortcuts and do not upload a saved settings file. If then you can't get your AC86 to run a VPN server it is likely to be a hardware issue and it is time to return your router if you can or start the RMA process with ASUS.

I had to return three AC86s as one of their several faults was that I could not run either a VPN server or VPN client.

On the other hand....I have had this issue as well (once, and also on an 86U), and all I had to do to get it working again was to re-format the JFFS partition (in Administration, System, Format JFFS partition at next boot, radio button set to Yes, followed by a reboot). You might lose one or two other settings (and possibly have to re-install your scripts if you are using them: ie- amtm, Diversion, Syknet, etc...), though honestly it is really not very much work compared to a full reset and full reinstall from scratch of all settings. Try it out, there is very little downside. Do make backups of your OpenVPN certs/config, and possibly the full JFFS partition if you think you might want to revert the changes (not recommended though in this case). If you have any customization of your scripts (Diversion and Skynet whitelists/blacklists etc. you should make backups of those as well).

Thank you both for your replies. I will try re-formatting jffs first before trying the nuclear option. I will of course report back. Once again, thank you to both of you.

I tried reformatting jffs but unfortunately this did not solve the problem. I used the nuclear option of a factory reset and all is now working well. Thanks for the replies. Reformatting jffs was certainly worth a try.

I tried reformatting jffs but unfortunately this did not solve the problem. I used the nuclear option of a factory reset and all is now working well. Thanks for the replies. Reformatting jffs was certainly worth a try.

FYI: The "nuclear option" is more than just a factory reset. Look at the signature block for member L&LD for all the steps in the process.

Hopefully everything is good now but if it happens again follow the complete process and take no short cuts.

I just had this problem too and formatting jffs didn't work. I had to fully reset it and then it started working.

FYI: The "nuclear option" is more than just a factory reset. Look at the signature block for member L&LD for all the steps in the process.

Hopefully everything is good now but if it happens again follow the complete process and take no short cuts.

Thanks for this. So far so good. My "nuclear option" of a factory reset was only a tiny explosion compared to L&LD's "nuclear option, which can be found at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

It's nice to know this procedure is available and can help with some chronic issues. A visit to L&LD's profile page at https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info is well worthwhile.