What's new

OpenVPN Server & iOS OpenVPN App

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
Hi,

My ISP's router is in Bridge Mode.

All my devices are connected to my RT-AC86U WRT-Merlin 384.7_2

The OpenVPN Server is on.

I exported the .ovpn file and opened it in the iOS OpenVPN App, as usual.

I entered the correct Username and Password.

According to settings it the Client is connected to the Server:

YRxS92c.jpg

However, in the OpenVPN App the connection appears to be failing to connect, it just hangs, nothing happens, it cannot connect. And I have no idea why.

YoPfOA9.jpg

If anyone has any idea of how to troubleshoot this I'd be more than grateful,

Thanks.

You might want to start with inspecting/posting the log from the iOS OpenVPN App.

ahh, yeah, sorry about that. I'll post it asap. Thanks.

@Skeptical.me

I think the app is buggy, to be honest. I have the same thing happen when for some unknown reason it just fails to connect and its sitting in the background. Doing absolutely nothing. I have to disable the connection and enable it to get it to connect. Having said that, the longer I can keep it running the better it seems to go.
Of course I have had a few reboots lately, because of ISP work in the area, that could skew my results too.

I have had it connect, seems like yours is not even connecting ? I moved the ovpn port to something non standard, did you perhaps do the same ?

Edit : Also have you tried removing the other profiles. I noticed when I tried 1.1.1.1 app, it installed a VPN profile and was not very friendly with the ovpn app. I forget what exactly, was the issue. but since I use 1.1.1.1 on the router, its was redundant anyway. Profile removed.

I guess another question would be have you had this connection working prior to this ?

Last edited:
However, in the OpenVPN App the connection appears to be failing to connect, it just hangs, nothing happens, it cannot connect. And I have no idea why.

Keep in mind that iOS can only have a single VPN in play at any given time which might be a challenge with multiple VPN profiles...

That's one of the problems with the 1.1.1.1 App from Cloudflare - if it's active, then other VPN's are not available.

Keep in mind that iOS can only have a single VPN in play at any given time which might be a challenge with multiple VPN profiles...
Actually there are two categories. For both categories one item can be enabled, but I don't know how well they will cooperate.

I'm not sure about the exact category names, but in one category I see the OpenVPN configurations for my router (and all other configurations I made myself); in the other I see profiles installed by 3rd party Apps, like PIA, ProtonVPN, and Encrypt.me.

The problem was simply this, an OpenVPN client was active on the router (RT-AC86U). As soon as I disabled it I got the iOS OpenVPN Client to connect. However, I'm able to connect to LAN devices but not use my home internet to browse sites. I assume it must have something to do with the configuration of the .ovpn config file. Although, I did enable the config file for LAN and Internet when setting up the OpenVPN server on the router.