What's new

OpenVPN & Stock Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nash16

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I'm trying continue with my RT-AC66U, I love the Merlin FW and I know that the best option is choose the Fork from John right now for legacy routers, but really I chose it because I need only 1 thing: OpenVPN updates.

Maybe someone could help me with minimal steps to update the binaries from OpenVPN with the Stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50470 from Asus getting the updated binaries from Merlin source (380.70) or something like that, I need the OpenVPN 2.4.0 or above and if it isn't too hard would be brilliant copy the webpage in the router for OpenVPN config instead of Stock.

How could I build the new OpenVPN version from src and install it into the router?

Thanks in advance and please admin move this topic if I choose the wrong discuss forum.
BR

Hi everyone,

I'm trying continue with my RT-AC66U, I love the Merlin FW and I know that the best option is choose the Fork from John right now for legacy routers, but really I chose it because I need only 1 thing: OpenVPN updates.

Maybe someone could help me with minimal steps to update the binaries from OpenVPN with the Stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50470 from Asus getting the updated binaries from Merlin source (380.70) or something like that, I need the OpenVPN 2.4.0 or above and if it isn't too hard would be brilliant copy the webpage in the router for OpenVPN config instead of Stock.

How could I build the new OpenVPN version from src and install it into the router?

Thanks in advance and please admin move this topic if I choose the wrong discuss forum.
BR
Don't mind me asking...but what's wrong with the latest Merlin releases?

You can't. 2.4.x introduces a number of changes that require support to be implemented in the rest of the firmware as well, it's not a drop-in replacement for 2.3.2.

You can't. 2.4.x introduces a number of changes that require support to be implemented in the rest of the firmware as well, it's not a drop-in replacement for 2.3.2.
Thank you Eric, I thought that this shouldn't be easy, so not much info about the upgrade process.

Regards :)