What's new

Openwrt routers & tplink switches - rxbadpkt on vlan trunk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

devilkin

New Around Here
Hello,

Being new here, I didn't really find a category to post this in, so I guess it fits in the 'other' category ;)

I'm a network/server hobbyist who recently grew out of his unmanaged network equipment and decided to replace some dumb switches with TPLink SG105E switches, for some better management of traffic flows and the like. Most of all, I wanted to separate some traffic of boxes that do need internet connectivity, but that I would much prefer that they're unable to reach the other things on the network. Definitely as I'm looking to put some additional honeyput stuff in (which upto now was running directly off the router on a dedicated port) to educate myself on the various less savoury things out there.

My network setup is in attachment. It all works pretty good, definitely after introducing the new switches. There are several ports 'unused' in the schematic, but those go to parts of the house that aren't redone yet to make use of everything.

There is one thing that I'm a bit troubled about: on my TPLink switches, specifically on the trunk links to the openwrt based routers, I see quite a number of RxBadPkt (bad received packets), going up quite quickly. I've been toying around with different settings no the router side, but sofar no luck. Changed switch ports on both sides, changed cables, but the bad packets follow me around to wherever the link between the two is. Removing the tagged configuration on the router, and *poof* they're gone.

I've been reading up a bit on what might be causing this, but haven't found a reason yet. There are some reports out there saying it might have to do with MTU issues, but no real details. Except for the reports in the switch ui, everything works as it should.

Any ideas? Or am I chasing ghosts?

Attachments

• network.png
    network.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 865
On the router side when you bond ports a new interface appears. You apply your configs on that interface instead of the individual ports.
Some things that happen on layer 2 still do get sent without vlans so you need to manage your zones in openwrt properly on which ports and such. the ports that take part of the bonding and the bonding interface itself shouldnt be on a zoned list, rather put the VLAN on the list. This is because when you apply vlan to the interface that vlan is also another interface.

Okay, that makes sense. The VLAN's are set per switchport though, not on the bridge devices. But I guess there's still traffic there that the external switches don't take.
VLAN 2:
vid: 2
ports: 1 4t 6t
VLAN 3:
vid: 3
ports: 0t 2t 3t 4t
VLAN 4:
vid: 4
ports: 0t 2t
VLAN 5:
vid: 5
ports: 0t 3t 5

All ports that are tagged have a label for pvid 0, which might be the cause?

Okay, that makes sense. The VLAN's are set per switchport though, not on the bridge devices. But I guess there's still traffic there that the external switches don't take.
VLAN 2:
vid: 2
ports: 1 4t 6t
VLAN 3:
vid: 3
ports: 0t 2t 3t 4t
VLAN 4:
vid: 4
ports: 0t 2t
VLAN 5:
vid: 5
ports: 0t 3t 5

All ports that are tagged have a label for pvid 0, which might be the cause?

pvid 0 is default. Simply remove the port from pvid 0 and it should stop sending VLAN 0. Make sure you have a port saved for accessing it incase you lock yourself out.