What's new

OpenWrt vs DD-wrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What router do you have? It all depends what you want.

I switched my main router (WNDR3700v2) to OpenWRT and I have not looked back.

DD-WRT was awesome.... back in the day. I recently tried to boot up a WRT54G (which is where I started with DD-WRT) and do a simple MAC clone, and it wouldn't even do that. I was on a standard release too.

DD-WRT is now commercial. They have their clients (Buffalo), and they could care less about the community which gave them their standing.

Because of that, I left. Their mods are horrible, always saying it's the users' fault.

At least with OpenWRT I can usually count on things working well, and if not there's a forum where I do eventually get answers that aren't geared toward RTFM.

Just my two cents.

I used DD-WRT way back. In the last few years, the non-commodity but inexpensive WiFi router I use has more features and options than DD-WRT, and it's 100% stable.

They're both tinker-tools - in the right hands, they both have their strengths.

But asking which one - that's a political question :p

From a developer perspective - I really do appreciate OpenWRT - it truely is open, and the team that supports that platform is supportive with documentation and open to contributions. If you're looking for a sandbox to experiment with, it's a great code baseline to work with.

DD-WRT - more consumer friendly - polished, with much functionality (some of it which I question, but that's me).