OpenWrt vs DD-wrt

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by KOA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. KOA

KOA Occasional Visitor

I'm currently using DD-wrt, but what are the advantages of using OpenWrt ?

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. TonyH

TonyH Very Senior Member

What router do you have? It all depends what you want.

4. thetoad30

thetoad30 Regular Contributor

I switched my main router (WNDR3700v2) to OpenWRT and I have not looked back.

DD-WRT was awesome.... back in the day. I recently tried to boot up a WRT54G (which is where I started with DD-WRT) and do a simple MAC clone, and it wouldn't even do that. I was on a standard release too.

DD-WRT is now commercial. They have their clients (Buffalo), and they could care less about the community which gave them their standing.

Because of that, I left. Their mods are horrible, always saying it's the users' fault.

At least with OpenWRT I can usually count on things working well, and if not there's a forum where I do eventually get answers that aren't geared toward RTFM.

Just my two cents.

5. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

I used DD-WRT way back. In the last few years, the non-commodity but inexpensive WiFi router I use has more features and options than DD-WRT, and it's 100% stable.

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

They're both tinker-tools - in the right hands, they both have their strengths.

But asking which one - that's a political question :p

From a developer perspective - I really do appreciate OpenWRT - it truely is open, and the team that supports that platform is supportive with documentation and open to contributions. If you're looking for a sandbox to experiment with, it's a great code baseline to work with.

DD-WRT - more consumer friendly - polished, with much functionality (some of it which I question, but that's me).