What's new

optimizing roaming between APs sharing the same SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
hi all,

I finally swallowed my pride, ditched my AiMesh setup and reverting back to using multiple APs sharing the same SSID. The dream of having a centralized management for wifi was simply not attainable: I am battling constantly with unstable wifi with frequent drop-out. At least with multiple APs, I know for certain that once connected, the wifi connection will be stable.

What I am trying to do is to make sure a wireless client is able to roam freely between multiple APs, always connecting to the strongest APs. I noticed that with AsusWRT, everything in default (after nvram reset, but set up in AP mode with wired backhaul), a wireless client will try to stay with the original AP and not necessary the AP with the strongest signal.

In addition to the asus main router, I have 2 identical asus router set up as AP with wired backhaul, all sharing the same SSID but at different channel.

My question is: is there a guide in this forum for optimizing a setup with multiple APs ahring the same SSID?

regards,