What's new

Optware or Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lwizard

Regular Contributor
I'm currently on Optware with my AC68U and I use it for running transmission.
I'm quite happy with it, very stable.
But there are no updates of transmission for long time now...

Is there any andvantage on migrating to entware, is more memory friendly, faster, stable?
Can I install transmission entware simply leaving also optware untill I'm sure it does work?
To remove Optware I only have to deleta my Optware partition on HDD or I also have to delete-edit any config file?

Thanks!

Entware is much more up-to-date, and actively maintained. I don't think that's still the case with Optware.

Thanks a lot. I'll migrate to entware (even if I found latest transmission also for Optware compiled by Shibby).
Wht do you suggest rTorrent? (Transmission seems ok for me, does rTorrent do better? Does it have a windows frontend?

Wht do you suggest rTorrent? (Transmission seems ok for me, does rTorrent do better? Does it have a windows frontend?

In the thread above some more experienced people stated that Rtorrent is more "light" compared to Transmission.
Thank you for tutorial. IMHO, rTorrent is a best torrent client for embedded devices: light, fast, feature rich and so on.
i haven't yet tested rtorrent, but my n66w in ap mode with transmission downloaded a 1.5gb file maxing my 10mbit download speed and my cpu utilization was ~60% and had 40mb mem free, without swap. transmission installed via entware. transmission was the first i tried out of familiarity.

same configuration with rtorrent, downloading the same file at the same speed resulted in 35% cpu usage with a little over 60mb mem free, no swap. a considerable improvement over transmission; nice

As I am with RT-N66U this is important. Your router is more powerful, so may be this is not so important for you. I am using Rtorrent regularly since May 2014 and it is very stable, lightweight and easy to use. Rtorrent does not have Windows frontend, but has very good WEB frontend. The thread above describes the frontend also.

P.S. In any case if you want to manage Rtorrent or Transmission remotely (from outside of your LAN) it is strongly recommended to set up an OpenVPN server on your router, due to security reasons.

Last edited:
No update on this, OP? How'd it work for you?

All k3 ARM ac FW options (opt/ent) seem to be in transition at this time. A clear choice may emerge by year-end?

But since this thread came up high (snb influence, no doubt), I did want to share the best torrent option IMO:

Run transmission-daemon server on your router (it runs well on MIPS machines so you definitely have the horsepower) and access it using transmission-remote-gui (transgui) client.
  • The utorrent-like interface is unsurpassed
  • The server can run unattended for weeks in the background
  • Single-click (or tap) to access or manage torrents
  • Access from anywhere on your network, or even from WAN side if SSH-in is setup

Joined just now to post this; hope it's helpful.

Time goes by...
Entware-ng or Optware-ng ?

Can someone please explain what is the main difference ?

Tnx

I know that the issue has been bumped thousand times, but I really need some guidance here, guys. I am positively overwhelmed with the bunch of possibilities AsusMerlin gives to me :)
I am going to install Asterisk, inspired by this great tutorial and came to the point where I need to decide: do I need Entware here???
AFAIK, I already have the Optware as I have Download Master installed, and ipkg works.
I know that Optware and Entware are not compatible and are impossible (not recommended) to be installed together. Do I really need additional effort installing EntwareNG? Which profit will I get by this?
Comparing Optware and Entware packages, I noticed that Asterisk package even newer in Optware repo, which seems odd, 'cause everywhere they write that EntwareNG is more up to date and better maintained.

I compile Entware-ng from sources and have my own local package repo on the router, which is probably more than most people are willing to do. That said, if there's a package that's not current in Entware-ng, sometimes it's as easy as updating the version number yourself in the Makefile, and re-compiling the package. For your case, you could nicely ask @zyxmon to update the Asterisk package version to be current with OpenWRT.

On Optware there is already 14th Asterisk, whilst Entware has only 11.25 version ...
Maybe someone could compile Optware-ng with a prefix of /mmc or /media. Then Optware-ng could be run side-by-side with Entware-ng?

Example: Global search & replace the root prefix /opt with /media
Code:
find $HOME/Optware-ng -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -I '{}' sed -r -i 's/(\/opt)($|\W)/\/media\2/g' '{}'

Last edited:
If you want to natively compile something, then optware-ng is better, because entware-ng does not even have gcc package.

Thanks for your answers, guys. Will stick to good ol' Optware, till I have special requirements to my scripts/packages.

On Optware there is already 14th Asterisk, ...
Optware-ng has Asterisk 1.4.22, dated 28-Nov-2012.

Entware-ng has Asterisk 11.25.1, dated 08-Dec-2016.

Optware-ng has Asterisk 1.4.22, dated 28-Nov-2012.

Entware-ng has Asterisk 11.25.1, dated 08-Dec-2016.

Maybe I am wrong with Asterisk versioning system, but I thought those asterisk14-XXXX packages are related to Asterisk 14 which was released in 2016. Anyway I am interested in installing USB dongle which supports only 1.6 and 1.8. And these packages are absent in Entware. Or no?

Maybe I am wrong with Asterisk versioning system, but I thought those asterisk14-XXXX packages are related to Asterisk 14 which was released in 2016. Anyway I am interested in installing USB dongle which supports only 1.6 and 1.8. And these packages are absent in Entware. Or no?
When I typed, "make asterisk14", in Optware-ng, it downloaded http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-1.4.22.1.tar.gz and then the checksum validation failed, for some unknown reason. However, it appears that Optware-ng has multiple version of Asterisk. Asterisk 13.5 is the latest version in Optware-ng. So you need to type, "make asterisk13" to compile the latest version in Optware-ng.

See the dates for all Asterisk source code releases here:
http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/

Entware-ng ARMv7 package versions:
http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/Packages.html

Optware-ng ARMv7 package versions:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/optware-ng/buildroot-armeabi-ng/Packages.html

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!