What's new

Orbi best practices and setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenshotx

New Around Here
If I missed a sticky please let me know. I set up my Orbi AC3000 and satellite and am looking for some more detailed information on how to best tweak it or at least a benchmark config.

I am running in AP mode (Frontier/FIOS G1100 router), using channel 5 for 2.4ghz selected. It is the least congested while testing around the house, I live in a wifi abundant neighborhood.

Under advanced the only selections I have unchecked are:
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

How can I see and test which devices are connecting to the Satellite vs. AP?

Last edited:
Have you tried using the Orbi as the main host router and disable all wireless and router services on the FIOS router? Orbi should be used as main host router.

I've disable Beamforming and MIMO on my Orbi for better compatibility for my devices.
Set WPA2 and AES only.

Got to say for the model Orbi I have. Wireless range and performance is stellar. Using it as main router and wireless for my house. 5000sq ft house.

I've acquired a RBR50 and a RBS50. Have done some preliminary set up and testing. Can't find reference in the manual about using USB drives (did I just miss it?). Can't set the 5 GHZ to the upper channels. Firmware is up to date. Also does not have OpenVPN but a proprietary Netgear VPN. Saw something somewhere about an open source development? Willing to test...

Not sure why Orbi should be used for main router? I've done both, and prefer it in AP mode, since this gives me a nice main/edge router that gives me a lot more monitoring capability than the Orbi provides. And it works fine in AP mode, performs the same as it does in router mode for wireless. Since strong wireless is why I got the Orbi, I'm happy with it in AP mode where it does what it does best *smile*. I'm currently using an R7800 for my "wired-only" main router, and it works well in that role with dd-wrt firmware.

Just a small comment to the OP, though. If I were you, I'd pick channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4GHz., not channel 5. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping ones, and routers in general deal better with non-overlapping signals. Overlapping signals tend to be noise that slows down routers, whereas if everyone is on a "clear" channel, even if busy, everyone on that channel will do better.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!