What's new

Outdoor Cat6 wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sevendustweb

Occasional Visitor
Hello:

My A/V installer is going to be running several drops of Cat6 from my basement to my attic. One proposed path is up the side of an unused chimney. The wiring would be run outside and would be covered with conduit.

I have 2,000 ft of Cat6 UTP Solid wiring from Monoprice. It is NOT outdoor rated. If I run the standard Cat6 wiring though conduit, can it survive the elements (cold weather, humid summers, summer heat, etc.) or should I run 1 drop of Cat6 outdoor rated from a switch in the basement to a switch in the attic?

Thanks!

I'd guess yes. But there are building codes to worry on.. I'd play it safe and get plenum rated cable for fire codes.

The connectors are the items to protect from humidity.

Hello:

My A/V installer is going to be running several drops of Cat6 from my basement to my attic. One proposed path is up the side of an unused chimney. The wiring would be run outside and would be covered with conduit.

I have 2,000 ft of Cat6 UTP Solid wiring from Monoprice. It is NOT outdoor rated. If I run the standard Cat6 wiring though conduit, can it survive the elements (cold weather, humid summers, summer heat, etc.) or should I run 1 drop of Cat6 outdoor rated from a switch in the basement to a switch in the attic?

Thanks!

Don't use cheap Ethernet cables for outside usage. I use to use Belkin CAT5e ran it up the roof down the side of the house and mounted them with wood coax mounts. 32 x 50FT and 75FT drops ran all over. Drilled holes thru wooded floors and snake the Ethernet through the underground garage then into a drop network closet. The Ethernet cables were out in 100F to -10F freezing cold and ice rain stormy weather. No issues with them.

Attics are extreme temperature areas. It's best to not place electronic equipment there. You will usually have lower useful life on those components.