What's new

Outdoor NEMA box for Time Warner Cable modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooterit

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Rather than trenching a conduit for a coax cable we can install a box at the gate where Time Warner can install their cable modem. From there I will take care of getting the data to our home and offices.

Other than 110V and Ground are there any specific requirements with regards for a outdoor rated enclosure?

Any other advice?

Thanks!!!

Rogier

This sounds like a bad idea? What are the temperature swings in your location? How will excess heat, cold and humidity be taken care of? What about vandalism?

Is the savings that much to consider this option?

Luckily we live in Southern California no huge temperature swings or extreme weather.
I will install it in the shade in a spot enclosed by heavy stone work. If needed I can add insulation, ventilation or some heating for the few times per year it freezes.

Vandalism is no concern.

Yes it will cost us many thousands of dollars to trench the conduit from the street to the home.

Luckily we live in Southern California no huge temperature swings or extreme weather.
I will install it in the shade in a spot enclosed by heavy stone work. If needed I can add insulation, ventilation or some heating for the few times per year it freezes.

Vandalism is no concern.

Yes it will cost us many thousands of dollars to trench the conduit from the street to the home.

Good that the temperatures won't be too much of an issue.

But, if it will cost thousands of dollars to reach the home, that must be some home, huh?

Are we talking miles or just a few yards for that kind of cost?

500 yards uphill trough hard soil and a archtectured landscape. This is not a lawn!

500 yards? Buy a few beers and pizzas for your closest buddies and done. :)

Ok, so assuming the modem is placed at the gate how will it be powered?

How will the signal get to the home? Going to need a few plugs.....

Hold on, no cable TV in the home already?

I'm also interested in a solution like this but how you will power the device out by the gate is key.

Have you considered direct burial cable in lieu of conduit? DBC still requires trenching but overall cost should be lower.

It's already been asked but I'm not sure how you plan to get the data from the gate to your house. Keep in mind maximum length of CAT5e/6 should not exceed 100 meters.

For my application, might go with something like this: https://cradlepoint.com/products/nema-enclosure-kit#!desc

Plenty of private contractors with ditch-witches with not much to do in SoCal - I'm here out west, and we all know the west is the best...

Free call to SDGE/ATT/Water company (Otay/Helix is common out here in East County San Diego) to mark out the keep out spots, and this tranch/cable run is perhaps 3-5 hours tops - about $1K all done... seriously - and TWC will work with the primary to set up a pedestal...

Thing is - gotta take charge of the situation and become the primary - TWC/Cox won't do that...

When attaching the outside world - power/telco/cable/satellite DBS - keep them close to the demarc, and bond them to a common ground, normally the electric company ground stake...

Safety first...

I'm also interested in a solution like this but how you will power the device out by the gate is key.

Have you considered direct burial cable in lieu of conduit? DBC still requires trenching but overall cost should be lower.

It's already been asked but I'm not sure how you plan to get the data from the gate to your house. Keep in mind maximum length of CAT5e/6 should not exceed 100 meters.

For my application, might go with something like this: https://cradlepoint.com/products/nema-enclosure-kit#!desc

I was planning on running a direct burrial fiber optic.

Meantime I have fenageled an arrangemenf were I will run RG11 direct burrial myself. They dont need to know it isnt in a conduit ;-)

I was planning on running a direct burrial fiber optic.

Meantime I have fenageled an arrangemenf were I will run RG11 direct burrial myself. They dont need to know it isnt in a conduit ;-)

do it to code - seriously...