What's new

Outdoor Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Somebody

New Around Here
Hello,

I want to have wifi from my house to my poolhouse and between. It is about 124 feet between the two. I am trying to find a solution for under $100 if possible to get this. I would also like it to be fast enough to stream Apple TV. What access point should I buy? Do I need 2, or can I just get 1?

Thanks so much!

Need more information like is it possible to run a LAN cable to the poolhouse? Where is the wireless router in the home located relative to the new position? Are you capable of digging the trench yourself? What is your current router?

Depending on the answers to the above (and anymore relevant info you can provide), the answers will come.

$100 does not seem feasible to me for this project in a best case scenario, but others may have better options than what I am used to.

I'd go Thiggins' suggestion. And/or run some Cat5e/6 buried outside for a distance and install the wireless bridge near the pool area then. The engenius units are powered by POE, they come with the power injectors.

Or run the cable in to the pool house and install an access point inside the pool house.

The distance isn't to bad if you located the access point at your main house, but I doubt you'll get much inside the pool house. I have a WDR3600 in my garage with 7dBi antennas located outside of the garage run in to the WDR3600 on 1 meter coax cables. I can get decent reception in my shed about 80-90ft from the antennas, with the door closed even. However, with the doors closed, performance is not very good (they are only 1/2" plywood doors). I get about 30Mbps down and 16Mbps up on 5GHz standing in the doorway, with the doors closed, it drops to about 8Mbps down and 3Mbps up on 5GHz. 2.4GHz with the doors closed I can manage 14Mbps down and 5Mbps up. That is on my iPhone 5. An Apple TV has fairly similar wireless performance. Your pool house is located about 50% further and might well have thicker walls. Though if you could locate the access point outside of the pool house and run cat5e in to it to (or where ever the AppleTV is) and hardwire to the Apple TV, the performance would probably be pretty good. Again, I'd suggest the Engenius units for that. A pair of 5GHz ENS500's, one at the house, one at the pool house should cover it real nice.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!