What's new

Packet loss on PS5 Help with QOS on GS-AX3000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andybtsn

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I have just bought this router but getting a lot of packet loss on FIFA 22 - PS5, also Rocket League on the PC that I never had before on basic TPLink Router.

I assume I need to tinker with the QOS. This is what I've done so far.

I have a gb switch that is connected to the Gaming Port on the router, that has my PC, PS5, Work Laptop and Sky Q Mini connected to it.
I have reserved the IP address of my PS5 and put it in the DMZ
I have turned QOS on and it's set to adaptive and automatic with Gaming as the selected mode.
I have gone into Game and added my PS5 as game device priority.

All that yet I'm getting a lot of packet loss in multiplayer games.

Any ideas?

Turn off QoS and remove DMZ. Plug the PS5 directly into one of the ports on the router and the switch into another.

But to be honest we get posts time and time again about problems with FIFA and it's invariably problems with their servers or ISP issues.

What are your internet speeds?

Turn off QoS and remove DMZ. Plug the PS5 directly into one of the ports on the router and the switch into another.

But to be honest we get posts time and time again about problems with FIFA and it's invariably problems with their servers or ISP issues.

What are your internet speeds?
Hi, yes well aware of the Fifa delay, I’ve played it for years however this is actual packet loss that I never got before. There are red/orange symbols popping up in game constantly. This is different to the button delay.
I’ll try what you suggested although surely QOS is needed to prioritise gaming?
. The port thing might be hard as the PS5 is upstairs and one cable goes from upstairs to downstairs hence the switch being needed.
Internet speeds are 35/7

Internet speeds are 35/7
Ah, OK. I forgot you were using a VDSL(?) modem. Have you got a new modem to go with your new router? Is the modem in "bridge mode" or is it still acting as a router with the new router double-NATed behind it?

Ah, OK. I forgot you were using a VDSL(?) modem. Have you got a new modem to go with your new router? Is the modem in "bridge mode" or is it still acting as a router with the new router double-NATed behind it?
I have a vdsl modem router in bridge mode going to the ASUS yeah

I have a vdsl modem router in bridge mode going to the ASUS yeah
Great. Is this modem the same one you were previously using? Was it bridged then?

Are you experiencing general packet loss to all sites in all applications or is it just these games? So for example, if you run a continuous ping from the Windows command prompt to google do you see packet loss?
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ping -t www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [172.217.16.228] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=116
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=116
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=116
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=116
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=116
Reply from 172.217.16.228: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=116

Ping statistics for 172.217.16.228:
    Packets: Sent = 13, Received = 13, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 16ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Users\Colin>

This was the modem router I was previously using yes, it was in normal router mode before the Asus.
I’ll start running that ping when playing some games tonight, each game had the packet loss. Haven’t noticed packet loss doing anything else but I haven’t played any other games other than Rocket league that also suffered.
i guess I’m just comparing the new router to the old tp link and not having these issues with that

Screenshot 2021-10-28 204409.png

From my PC that is upstairs connected to the same switch my PS5 is

Can someone help me with QOS? So putting things back to standard and things appear ok now, however someone on the network uploading pics to whatsapp caused significant lag/ping increasing to 650 on rocket league, how cam I prevent this?

Gaming is still set to priority in QOS which begs the question that is the point in it?

I have turned QOS on and it's set to adaptive and automatic with Gaming as the selected mode.
Don’t use Automatic bandwidth mode. Use Manual and set it to 95% of your ISP speed, and keep reducing the Mbps until you are happy with the performance.

I'd also suggest that you don't use the "gaming port" if you're still plugging your switch with all your wired devices into it.

Gaming is still set to priority in QOS which begs the question that is the point in it?

If one is having packet loss in games, then try disabling QoS

Packet loss is a given with QoS, as it sheds packets to maintain latency/bandwidth commitments for a given traffic flow

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!