What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-N56U in Bridge Mode Performance

Hi!

I've recently purchased an RT-N56U to be used as a bridge added onto
my current RT-N66U (running Asuswrt-Merlin) through a Switch.

This is my current setup:

(Fibre Optics Terminal) --WAN--> RT-N66U --LAN1--> D-Link DGS-2205 5-port Switch ----> RT-N56U (in Bridge Mode)

This RT-N56U is running Padavan's custom firmware in bridge mode.

All 4 LAN ports are used in the 56U and they do massive file transfers
between those devices. (One of them is an NAS)
A networked media player also streams media through Wired LAN connection on the RT-N66U to the NAS.

As such, I am looking for the option which brings me the highest
performance in file transfers as well as the maximum number of WAN
connections as I have about wired+wireless 20 devices on average in total.

I understand that the 56U has superb hardware NAT features but may I
know if this HW-NAT is utilised in Bridge mode?

Is there another way I should arrange the network hardware to bring about better performance?

Will enabling Jumbo Frames on all devices bring about a significant increase in speeds?

Sorry for the long post - am still experimenting and learning from all these! Thanks!

Ugh. Somehow I missed the last couple o' pages. SNB stopped the delivering of notifications about new posts. Weird. Anyhow:

As you may have already noticed we've got IPv6 support here! It's already being tested actively and we've caught few bugs in different scenarios of IPv6 implementation. Right now the main problem is HW_NAT module. We had to work out some problems with its 3.0.x kernel compatibility. However there are still reports of unusually high CPU load (~10%). So that means there are still bugs in it.

This module also required some additional work to make it able to process IPv6 correctly. So if you upgrade to the -015 build and try to use IPv6, you'll probably get a lot of problems. -016 just popped out as you see, but I'm already running it and see that HW_NAT is glitching out IPv6. Damn it. Yeah... Well, that means more fun! If you plan on testing IPv6 with 015 or 016, be sure to disable HW_NAT. Or if you're not, be sure not to enable IPv6 support :)

Now to the questions!

SO is this still considered a beta?
Oh yeah. If you want stable firmware, stick to the -010 build. That's an old kernel. No major bugs or anything. If you're willing to participate in testing - welcome to the 015-016 builds.

Is there any disadvantage(or advantage) to dropping the HW_NAT to 8192?
I've never even seen mine show more than 2000 connections.
There's none. This option is here only for debugging or some other weird scenarios. It's better to leave it as it is. :) Also what Shikami said.

OK, this is one area where I get confused. What is the preferred setting to maximize throughput?

Hardware NAT:
Enable offload LAN
Enable offload LAN/WiFi
The last one. Shikami is right: "The Wi-Fi was experimental for a bit and then finalized later. It offloaded some of the Wi-Fi not all and lowered the sirq's when enabled. Overall it was better to have it enabled. Unless you were having issues with Wi-Fi".

BTW, I just loaded 3.0.2.4-012 (Friday and Monday are my maintenance windows). WOW! NTFS SAMBA/CIFS throughput is finally acceptable!!! WoooHooo!!!
Yay! :)

Zoomer88, could you ask on the Russian board about preserving DOS Attributes (Hidden, Read Only, System, Archive) on network shares in SAMBA? Has the kernel been compiled with extended attributes support (xattrs) enabled?
Sure thing! Though if that would require any amount of work (and not just flipping compile switch), I'm afraid the answer will disappoint you. Right now the devs got their hands full with IPv6 and savaging HW_NAT.

Or, has there been any thought of running a newer version of SAMBA? Pavadan is currently using 3.0.37 (smbd -V = Version 3.0.37), where-as the current stable release from samba.org is 3.6.8, I do believe that 3.2.0 is the version that started support for storing alternate data streams in xattrs (I think).
RMerlin has already answered and TBH it looks he's right but since the implementation of IPv6 took MUCH less space we've been expecting, we've got some extra space left. Will see!

I think I am seeing more CPU usage when downloading than normally with previous versions of the firmware. Anyone else notice this? Normally I wouldn't see anything when downloading 6.9MB/s
You're right. We're fighting with HW_NAT. It gives us problems with bindings and even more problems with IPv6 (in fact the next build will have HW_NAT for IPv6 temporarily disabled till we sort out those bugs.

Found an intermittent bug in 3.0.2.4-012
Thanks. Redirected.
P.S.: you still should do it you know ;)

This is my current setup:
(Fibre Optics Terminal) --WAN--> RT-N66U --LAN1--> D-Link DGS-2205 5-port Switch ----> RT-N56U (in Bridge Mode)
Err... Do I see a dual nat here? My mom told me that dual nat is never a good thing. Whom RT-N56U talks to? Does it rise network connection through N66U? Or it's the other way around? I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the network map you've drawn, nor I feel competent enough to answer your question. All I can say is that you won't overload the RT-N56U's CPU when you transferring data between the lan ports even on 1gbps speeds because it's all done on a hardware level.

Transferring data between wan and RT-n56u's LAN is another story. To see whether HW_NAT is active check CPU load sirq value. It shouldn't even touch the 10% mark on ~100mbps speeds when HW_NAT is operating properly.

Setting up Jumbo Frames in the network requires some work. Be sure to set it up properly on all participating devices. Padavan's firmware has a switch for Jumbo Frames in the Ethernet section. Theoretically you'll improve your transfer speeds and free up some extra CPU time.

Last edited:
I can say that I've been running a gigabit network at home for eleven years now. At one point I had around seventy devices on it (with over a dozen Dlink gigabit switches spread around) but now i'm down to around 60 devices and I've replaced all my old Dlink GigE switches with seven of the newer GigE ones). I've never used jumbo frames and never had any issues getting 900Mb/s+ throughput between devices capable of those speeds(like my PCs with RAID 0 storage or SSDs).

And those speeds continue as well with the RT-N56U as my main router. Originally I used a PC as a DHCP server. Then when routers finally came out with gigabit connections I got a Dlink DGL4300 router. And then a Dlink DGL4500 router. And now I have a couple of the RT-N56U routers with one in AP mode.

IPv6 doesnt work when using native ipv6 from comcast that uses a SLAAC prefix assigned by dhcp. I get a ip address fine, and can traceroute out, but there seems to be a bug in the forwarding code as no tcp/udp traffic can get out. I also see this error in the logs:

Sep 27 10:40:41 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Sep 27 10:40:42 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Sep 27 10:40:47 kernel: net_ratelimit: 308 callbacks suppressed
Sep 27 10:40:47 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Sep 27 10:41:07 kernel: net_ratelimit: 29 callbacks suppressed
Sep 27 10:41:07 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Sep 27 10:41:12 kernel: net_ratelimit: 395 callbacks suppressed
Sep 27 10:41:12 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Sep 27 10:41:17 kernel: net_ratelimit: 362 callbacks suppressed
Sep 27 10:41:17 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.

Regards,

Jon

Hello, Jon!

Could you please attach the full log from the router? You might want to use pastebin.com for that purpose.

Also could you please give more details on the IPv6 implementation of your ISP? What WAN connection do you use? Is it IPoE or PPPoE? Is IPv6 native or runs through tunnels? Have you tried disabling HW_NAT in wan settings (you should disable it completely if you're testing IPv6 since HW_NAT is known to cause issues on the current version of the firmware). Are you using Windows? Is it connected to the router via ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi? Have you tried to reset (disable and then re-enable) the local area connection in the 'Adapter Settings' window?

And what firmware version do you use? Is it 014 or 015 build?

Thanks

Last edited:
Comcast's IPv6 implementation is... Odd. Asus had to do quite a few code changes in Asuswrt to be able to properly support it.

Hello,

I am using 015. Ipv6 gets the right assignments from comcast, and my Pc will pick up a ipv6 address from the prefix allotted to me. I am using native ipv6 from comcast. Their dhcp server gives out a wan address and a lan prefix. It worked fine on their asuswrt firmware, but their kernel drivers were buggy and had management ring issues in their latest version (.206). I do have hardware nat enabled for both lan/wifi. I am connected via wifi. I will pm you a copy of my log.

Thanks,

Jon

It looks like the issues of m00ster were resolved by disabling HW_NAT. That's interesting since we've got reports about malfunctioning HW_NAT and IPv6 only on PPPoE connections, not on IPoE.

Investigation is in process :)

RMerlin,
could you please elaborate on what's exactly odd about Comcast's implementation? I'm not exactly what you'd call a technomind, but looking into logs I simply see the IPoE connection and Stateless DHCPv6 with PD and RA enabled. Looks pretty ordinary to me. Are there some hidden quirks?

Last edited:
RMerlin,
could you please elaborate on what's exactly odd about Comcast's implementation? I'm not exactly what you'd call a technomind, but looking into logs I simply see the IPoE connection and Stateless DHCPv6 with PD and RA enabled. Looks pretty ordinary to me. Are there some hidden quirks?

I don't know the technical details, but I remember Comcast's engineers did quite a bit of back and forth with Asus engineers to get IPv6 working properly between Comcast and Asuswrt - Comcast's IPv6 didn't work with Asuswrt until the release of 3.0.0.3.162. In the code I also see some Comcast-specific bits:

if ((get_ipv6_service() == IPV6_NATIVE_DHCP) &&
!nvram_match("ipv6_comcast", "0"))
return _eval(ipv6aide_argv, NULL, 0, &pid);

And for Comcast's 6rd support, when starting the udhcpc client:

if (get_ipv6_service() == IPV6_6RD && nvram_match("ipv6_6rd_dhcp", "1")) {
dhcp_argv[index++] = "-O212"; /* ip6rd rfc */
dhcp_argv[index++] = "-O150"; /* ip6rd comcast */
}

From what I recall, that ipv6aide code was added with the Comcast-fixed release.

Which firmware is best to use (Padavans Beta or Asuswrt Beta) for me?
My needs:
- fast and stable hardware nat
- reliable ipv6
- reliable upnp (nat)
- reliable collaboration with apple push (FaceTime, iMessage)

Sounds like some of you were able to do what I have been trying to accomplish unsuccessfully for 15 hours...

I had a rt-n56u for a while, as my main router, without any issue.
I bought a house, have an office upstairs, no RJ45 connections. I also have a DIR655 that was put aside since I bought the rt n56u. Since I have both routers, I am trying to put my DIR655 back in service, as my main router, and set my rt n56u as access point, with my printer connected to the usb port, for no cost. I have been pulling my hair for hours!!!

The DIR655 works great, lan, wifi, no problem.
I tried every possible options on my asus router, to set it up as the access point, but can't figure out how...I started with the stock most recent firmware, and found out about the custom ROM. I tried too but same results...

My DIR655 IP address is 192.168.1.1, I manually set the Asus to 192.168.1.100. I can see my DIR655 wireless network to bridge to, select it, but if I try the IP 192.168.1.100 I can't see the Asus, as if it wasn't connected. This is the first time I am trying to setup a router as an access point, there must be something I am missing, or not understanding.

I tried all the options (AP-Client, WDS only, AP & WDS, AP & AP Client) but it just doesn't work. I also tried to deactivate security on the wifi, made sure they were on the same channel, bandwidth etc...

Could you guys help me? I would really appreciate....
Thanks!

Sounds like some of you were able to do what I have been trying to accomplish unsuccessfully for 15 hours...

I had a rt-n56u for a while, as my main router, without any issue.
I bought a house, have an office upstairs, no RJ45 connections. I also have a DIR655 that was put aside since I bought the rt n56u. Since I have both routers, I am trying to put my DIR655 back in service, as my main router, and set my rt n56u as access point, with my printer connected to the usb port, for no cost. I have been pulling my hair for hours!!!

The DIR655 works great, lan, wifi, no problem.
I tried every possible options on my asus router, to set it up as the access point, but can't figure out how...I started with the stock most recent firmware, and found out about the custom ROM. I tried too but same results...

My DIR655 IP address is 192.168.1.1, I manually set the Asus to 192.168.1.100. I can see my DIR655 wireless network to bridge to, select it, but if I try the IP 192.168.1.100 I can't see the Asus, as if it wasn't connected. This is the first time I am trying to setup a router as an access point, there must be something I am missing, or not understanding.

I tried all the options (AP-Client, WDS only, AP & WDS, AP & AP Client) but it just doesn't work. I also tried to deactivate security on the wifi, made sure they were on the same channel, bandwidth etc...

Could you guys help me? I would really appreciate....
Thanks!

I would suggest using the RT-N56U as the main router instead of the DIR-655. (Large speed advantages)

But if you are dead set on setting up as such, then there is an Operation Mode in both the Asus stock firmware as well as the RT-N56U Custom firmware by Padavan.

I am personally using Padavan's v3.0.2.5-015 (newgui-mini) on my RT-N56U as my access point (no need for all the fancy features since this is purely an access point).

The Operation Mode page can be accessed from Advanced Settings->Administration->Operation Mode tab

HOWEVER, before you set that, go to Advanced Settings->LAN and configure your Default Gateway and Subnet Mask to be the same as that on your DIR-655's LAN. Then, set your IP address preferably out of the DHCP pool on your DIR-655.
(Turn Get IP Automatically? to Off on the RT-N56U)

I can say that I've been running a gigabit network at home for eleven years now. At one point I had around seventy devices on it (with over a dozen Dlink gigabit switches spread around) but now i'm down to around 60 devices and I've replaced all my old Dlink GigE switches with seven of the newer GigE ones). I've never used jumbo frames and never had any issues getting 900Mb/s+ throughput between devices capable of those speeds(like my PCs with RAID 0 storage or SSDs).

And those speeds continue as well with the RT-N56U as my main router. Originally I used a PC as a DHCP server. Then when routers finally came out with gigabit connections I got a Dlink DGL4300 router. And then a Dlink DGL4500 router. And now I have a couple of the RT-N56U routers with one in AP mode.

All my PCs and MacBooks use SSDs. Alright so it seems I do not have that much of an advantage going through all the hassle of setting up Jumbo Frames then! Thank you :)

Err... Do I see a dual nat here? My mom told me that dual nat is never a good thing. Whom RT-N56U talks to? Does it rise network connection through N66U? Or it's the other way around? I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the network map you've drawn, nor I feel competent enough to answer your question. All I can say is that you won't overload the RT-N56U's CPU when you transferring data between the lan ports even on 1gbps speeds because it's all done on a hardware level.

Transferring data between wan and RT-n56u's LAN is another story. To see whether HW_NAT is active check CPU load sirq value. It shouldn't even touch the 10% mark on ~100mbps speeds when HW_NAT is operating properly.

Setting up Jumbo Frames in the network requires some work. Be sure to set it up properly on all participating devices. Padavan's firmware has a switch for Jumbo Frames in the Ethernet section. Theoretically you'll improve your transfer speeds and free up some extra CPU time.

RT-N56U is talking to RT-N66U through a Switch. RT-N56U is set on AP mode as Operation Mode in the Administration page.

Alright so can I clarify that with the setup as written above, that transfers between devices on LAN ports of the RT-N56U are all done on a hardware level despite it being on AP mode?

I just installed the most recent firmware xxx015. I noticed on my RT-N56U that I use in AP mode that the wireless signal is weaker now. I first noticed it because I had a wireless Bridge that wasn't linking at 270Mbs it was less than half that. And when I checked the signal strength it was much lower than before. Then I checked all my other wireless bridges and the signal strength was lower on all of them as well. I reflashed to the old xx10 firmware and it was as it should be. Then I flashed again to the 015 and again the signal strength was lower. This is on 5Ghz. The TX power is set at 100. Is there anything that might be causing this issue?

It could be due to the change in kernel. Guess that's the key difference between those 2 firmware.

I see there is a new update. What is the difference between the full, mini, and micro versions?

I see there is a new update. What is the difference between the full, mini, and micro versions?

- Full build: included "transmission" and "minidlna".
- Mini build: excluded "transmission" and "minidlna", included "openssh" instead of "dropbear".
- Micro build: excluded "transmission", "minidlna", "openssl", "sftp-server".

Have just upgraded to the mini build. HW NAT is working again. I'm no longer seeing high CPU usage when downloading at high speed.

I really do like Padavan's work. This is very snappy firmware. If only we could edit settings such as port forwards and static IPs. To change anything, you have to delete and enter anew.

It would also be nice if you could track bandwidth per client. I miss this from OpenWRT.

bb

I downloaded the full build, but I still see the same weaker WiFi signals over 5Ghz(maybe 2.4Ghz too, not sure yet). It's not really a big deal, but the drop is enough for a couple of my bridges to drop it's connection speed from the normal 270Mb/s. But i do see the issue with both my RT-N56U units. So it's not my units.

Installed 3.0.2.6-018 mini. 6rd working correctly with my ISP (Telia Sweden).
However when IPV6 is enabled with 6rd, cpu load is very high for fast downloads, could this be due HW-NAT issue or because of the overhead of 6rd tunneling?

For an example, I can download Fedora DVD ISO from ftp.sunet.se around 9MBytes/S over 5Ghz WiFi with IPV6 disabled and cpu load is around 20% (HWNAT- LAN/WiFI offload). The same ISO when downloaded over IPV6 has throughput around 6MBytes/S and a cpu load around 80%. HWNAT is still set to LAN/WiFI offload.