What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed with 018 that my 56U in AP mode is not pulling the time from the ntp server.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

I noticed with 018 that my 56U in AP mode is not pulling the time from the ntp server.

I noticed that this started a few versions ago. I think when 3.x kernel was implemented, actually. I found that it does get the time, but it does not write to dmesg until later. You will see that time is retrieved by noted "System Time" under System Log.

Edit: Looks like Andy explains: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=510&start=200

For an example, I can download Fedora DVD ISO from ftp.sunet.se around 9MBytes/S over 5Ghz WiFi with IPV6 disabled and cpu load is around 20% (HWNAT- LAN/WiFI offload). The same ISO when downloaded over IPV6 has throughput around 6MBytes/S and a cpu load around 80%. HWNAT is still set to LAN/WiFI offload.

That is what I was trying to explain long ago to Tim. The routers are starting to get some processing power, and they need it. It can take a lot to process a simple packet. Even more if the host processor has to convert the packet from 6 to 4. Networking is a strain on systems resources. So, if I see a high throughput that gives me an idea of how the router will perform when it is starting to deal with multiple users. So to say less throughput is okay, it not entirely true, IMO. Most may not see that and that can be true; but I have been to households that drain networking devices of their processing power.

With hardware NAT on the RT-N56U, it does more than processing NAT, it offloads some of the packet processing. Now, imagine without offloading and then having multiple users doing what ever on the Internet, and NAS resources of the router. Performance would start to suffer. Personally, I would only use IPv6 if you have to. If you can use v4 then by all means enjoy the offloading and better performance.

Honestly, I cannot wait for better offloading processors, and even dual core processors for routers. These are right around the corner and will start to show in next gen routers; some already exist and are 64bit even. Broadcom's new processor for AC routers is dual core, and has a lot of offloading features to be incorporated into the host processor.

I noticed that this started a few versions ago. I think when 3.x kernel was implemented, actually. I found that it does get the time, but it does not write to dmesg until later. You will see that time is retrieved by noted "System Time" under System Log.

Edit: Looks like Andy explains: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues/detail?id=510&start=200

Thanks. I only realized later today that it was getting the time but it was getting it as the last part of the bootup process so the correct time wasn't showing in the initial bootup log like when I was using version x10.

With latest firmware, the DHCPv6 server doesn't appear to do anything. looking at the config file, it doesn't appear to be filling out the scope correctly for the ipv6 lan prefix when received from dhcpv6 on WAN.

I saw yesterday that there was a new firmware without ipv6. So I installed that since I'm not using ipv6 for anything.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

With latest firmware, the DHCPv6 server doesn't appear to do anything. looking at the config file, it doesn't appear to be filling out the scope correctly for the ipv6 lan prefix when received from dhcpv6 on WAN.

Actually it does. It just isn't reflected in WebGUI. We're planning on creating a separate page with information about IPv6. If it wasn't working, you won't be able to resolve any IPv6 host. ('remote host not found' kind of message).

aaronwt said:
I saw yesterday that there was a new firmware without ipv6. So I installed that since I'm not using ipv6 for anything.

It's not just 'without IPv6'. It is based on the older kernel as you can see from the version number and description. 3.x versions are based on the newer kernel version, hence they're having some specific advantages I've been about talking earlier.

Also Padavan has fixed problems with HW_NAT and IPv4 bindings in 018. The 019 build will have experimental UDP packets offload enabled. Tests are showing that it's working without problems.

The problem with IPv6 bindings in HW_NAT still persists though, so do not forget to have HW_NAT disabled if you're using IPv6.

Also Padavan has fixed problems with HW_NAT and IPv4 bindings in 018. The 019 build will have experimental UDP packets offload enabled. Tests are showing that it's working without problems

As in experimental IPv6 UDP offloading (that is the way I am understanding you)? Or is TCP only offloaded in v4 and UDP will be, along with TCP, in 019?

BTW - Love the version 3.x kernel firmware. It is getting better and better.

No-no. I'm talking about IPv4 UDP packets offload. It is disabled in ralink drivers by default due to infamous bug in some of the chipset revisions. UDP packets with zero checksums break logic in the HW_NAT chipset module and eventually are dropped. That's why if you enable UDP packets in uTorrent, you'll see CPU load on the router. UDP packets are not offloaded now on Padavan's firmware as well as on official firmware.

Padavan changed the logic in such a way so that only UDP packets with zero checksums are being skipped by HW_NAT (which btw is an extremely rare situation. Only some VOIP software and few specific protocols require UDP packets with checksums disabled). UDP packets which have checksums will be processed by HW_NAT, hence zero cpu load.

IPv6 support of HW_NAT module is riddled with bugs. The devs keep fighting with it and there's some progress but it is still far from stable.

Zoomer88,

Any chance of getting a complete set of help for the choices? Some do have it, and many do not (only ones underlined do)?

Also, why 2 sets using two different kernel's?

I am having problems of 100% CPU utilization with the 1.x.x.018 version, it appears to be all the time. So much so that when it is like that it seemed as if it was 'permantly' attached to one computer and would not deliver content to a newly attached tablet. PC was on the 5GHZ band which is what our iPad's also use. Neither iPad when opened could get to the internet. Moved them to the 2.4GHZ band and they worked. Other PC was hard wired and it worked OK. Put the 3.x.x.018 version on and the iPad's worked fine on either band.

However I see a Media Server problem on 3.x.x.018. Using the iPad and either of the 2 Media Server apps I have, the contents shown for the share is wrong. It does show the new content added, but older deleted content still shown, but only some?

As for help, here are a few I can use some understanding of what they do? On the USB APPLICATION page is a "Database content update mode:" but I've tried all choices and it doesn't seem to matter? Default was 'never update'? What should this be or what is it for? I thought this could be the reason for old folders/files remaining on the media server.

What does "Auto check filesystem at USB storage plug?" do?

I see "Media files source path:", yet that folder specified is NOT on my Share? Should it be?

Thanks,
Irv S.

About the help:
that's a legacy from Chinese firmware. As you may know, our WebGUI is actually a heavy reskin and deep restyle of the WebGUI form 1.x.x.x versions of official firmware. The help function in those versions was done in such a way that it is a major PITA to add new description for new options and choices. More so, not all the choices and functions from the original firmware had a description.

We'll get to the help part eventually but it is not in priority right now.

About the kernels:
The kernel version 2.x is from wive-ng project. It has some special fixes and tweaks (e.g. FastPATH module which decreases CPU load of L2TP and PPTP protocols). Some of those fixes aren't ported to 3.x kernel yet since they require an extensive amount of work. sfstudio, who is responsible for this kernel and those tweaks isn't available at the moment due to RL.

The work slowly progresses without sfstudio though. Most of the fixes were ported to 3.x kernel. There are some peculiarities about 3.x kernel. For example its PPTP and L2TP connections are a bit slower but it is possible to load CPU to 100% in 3.x and at the same time the router remains responsive thanks to the new kernel scheduler.

Other than that 3.x is very stable but for those conservatives out there 2.x is still available and will be maintained for some time.

About CPU utilization:
There shouldn't be any 100%. There's a problem with your HW_NAT settings (is it disabled? Or enabled only for LAN?). MiniDLNA's rescanning of the directories could also load CPU to 100% and that's expected. That's why you have this ambiguous "Database content update." It can rescan automatically but it will eat CPU resources. If you set "Force..." you'll force a full database rebuild killing the CPU. If you set "for new files only" it will add new files to DLNA database but won't remove those which were deleted. So use "Force..." only if you want to delete ghosts of the files.

Also what's your ISP connection? Is it IPoE or PPPoE? They should be offloaded to HW_NAT. 1-5% CPU load is pretty usual with those on an extremely high connection speed.

Cannot see SSID with the custom firmware isntalled

Hi All,

Just got a N56U. I upgraded to the new Asus firmware and my wireless on 2.4ghz is so so slow. Standing next to the router from ipad and iphone was about .5mbs. My ipad on 5ghz was awesome though. Asus firmware really really sucks for wireless it seems.

I installed the custom firmware. Everything was super quick. The problem is my Printer (Epson NX430) and my laptop (HP with Vista) cannot see the SSID of the router! Typing in the SSID does not work either.

The settings were exactly the same as when it was Asus firmware.

Can anybody help me fix this? I cant find an answer anywhere for this problem.

If not, then I will have to return the router and take a hit on stocking fee. :(

Zoomer88,
About CPU utilization:
There shouldn't be any 100%. There's a problem with your HW_NAT settings (is it disabled? Or enabled only for LAN?). MiniDLNA's rescanning of the directories could also load CPU to 100% and that's expected. That's why you have this ambiguous "Database content update." It can rescan automatically but it will eat CPU resources. If you set "Force..." you'll force a full database rebuild killing the CPU. If you set "for new files only" it will add new files to DLNA database but won't remove those which were deleted. So use "Force..." only if you want to delete ghosts of the files.

HW_NAT was set to ENABLE OFFLOAD LAN/WI-FI, set it to ENABLED OFFLOAD LAN now.

Files get moved to the USB drive to share often and are also deleted, so I guess I need to use FORCE. The 100% CPU was happening without file changes though.

Also what's your ISP connection? Is it IPoE or PPPoE? They should be offloaded to HW_NAT. 1-5% CPU load is pretty usual with those on an extremely high connection speed.

ISP speed is 40Mbps down/5Mbps up. IPoE.

KnawKB
Change your Wi-Fi region in the router's settings to USA here: http://my.router/Advanced_Wireless2g_Content.asp - the last setting in this list.

irvsp
No, AFAIK you shouldn't use Force all the time. I'll check back with the guys at the russian forums later sicne I don't use this router as a NAS. There also was a command for the terminal to check the running processes and see what's eating CPU.

When I was asking about your ISP connection I wasnt asking about its speed but its type. ENABLE OFFLOAD LAN/WI-FI is a proper option. Leave it as it is.

Also 40 mbps is a really nothing for this router. You shouldn't hit even 5% on such speeds. There's definitely problems with your settings. :)

Yup. Those 12 and 13 channels are for European region. Devices made for USA don't recognize those channels.

Actually even devices which were made for Europe often have the same issue. They simply don't see those channels and that's a pretty widespread issue. That's why it was easy for me to pinpoint it. Glad I helped you!

irvsp
No, AFAIK you shouldn't use Force all the time. I'll check back with the guys at the russian forums later sicne I don't use this router as a NAS. There also was a command for the terminal to check the running processes and see what's eating CPU.

When I was asking about your ISP connection I wasnt asking about its speed but its type. ENABLE OFFLOAD LAN/WI-FI is a proper option. Leave it as it is.

Also 40 mbps is a really nothing for this router. You shouldn't hit even 5% on such speeds. There's definitely problems with your settings. :)

OK, I set the OFFLOAD to LAN/WI-FI again. When I'm on the '3' kernel version I do not hit 100% CPU load all the time, but on the '1' kernel it is solid 100%.

Can you name some settings I should be checking to see if they are right?

While I'm trying to find the proper terminal command to check the process list you can click the percentage near CPU LOAD field and tell me what eats cpu. Is it sirq?

default name pass

I have been skimming through the google.code project along with this forum for like 2 hours...
i installed the newest firmware from:
https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

after installing the firmware i realized that i couldnt login. can someone tell me what the default username/password is for this build?
if that doesnt work for me then im having some other issue.
im only prompted with a user/pass screen some of the time and since i dont know what the answer is i keep trying generic ones like username/password...
this is getting really frustrating...