What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hand held devices are not the clients I would choose to test with. :)
Unfortunately I only have Laptop with me that doesn't fall into "hand-held" category. Anyhow seeing from 3 different clients it's apparent there is consistent speed cap of some sort on with downlink.I just tried my other phone (wireless AC too).. and same speed cap.o_O

Unfortunately I only have Laptop with me that doesn't fall into "hand-held" category. Anyhow seeing from 3 different clients it's apparent there is consistent speed cap of some sort on with downlink.I just tried my other phone (wireless AC too).. and same speed cap.o_O

Update: reflashed to stock FW. Done some speed test, turns out my AC51U can reach 90Mbps just fine with stock FW. Something in Padavan capped the downlink to 82 Mbps, but okay doesn't matter too much to me.

5714676248.png

What do you need that the March stable build doesn't have?

No particular feature. I had recently issues with the 2.4GHz Wifi being occasionally slow/dropping connections, while the 5 GHz works fine. So I though that might be improved with a new build.

Yet my main concern is to get the latest versions of the libraries used (e.g., OpenSSH, Linux kernel, OpenSSL, etc.) to be sure that possible security issues discovered in them since the last release are fixed. But maybe there was nothing critical discovered, so that might be the reason that there is no new build since over 6 month.

Earlier, I was also used to shorter release cycles, and I wonder if the support for this project has ended (yet I see frequent commits in bitbucket, just no releases).

Hi, @Rüdiger.
Are there any plans to provide new builds in the near future?
Yes, the new release is coming soon.
Or are we supposed to use nightly builds or build our selfes?
You can use nightly builds from build bots #1 or #2.
(what is recommended)?
Not sure there's a sense to wait new release. There's no some special "stable" version, Download page includes nightly build where version milestone has been changed.

Hi, @Rüdiger.
Yes, the new release is coming soon.
You can use nightly builds from build bots #1 or #2.
Not sure there's a sense to wait new release. There's no some special "stable" version, Download page includes nightly build where version milestone has been changed.

Hi, thanks for a fast answer. Great to know there is a new release coming soon (sorry for my impatience ;)). Good to know that there is a active community :)

Just a quick question about theoretical/marketing speeds.

If N56U A1 is N600 router

What is N56U B1? AC1500 router?

Last edited:
Just a quick question about theoretical/marketing speeds.

If N56U A1 is N600 router

What is N56U B1? AC1500 router?

I think it's still an N600 router? I don't think anyone confirmed that AC class WiFi works (on any firmware, but maybe I missed it)?

I think it's still an N600 router? I don't think anyone confirmed that AC class WiFi works (on any firmware, but maybe I missed it)?
Asus RT-N56UB1 is 2T2R Dual band router where 802.11ac was disabled by Asus for marketing reasons.

Also, N600/N1500 is another marketing BS, where number shows summ of raw speed for all bands, which is nonsense for real life. Let's apply this marketing formula for RT-N56U B1:
  • MT763E radio (2T2R 802.11n 2.4GHz band) gives 300Mbps PHY data rate,
  • MT7612E radio (2T2R 802.11n/802.11ac 5GHz band) gives 866Mbps PHY data rate on 802.11ac and 300Mbps PHY data rate on 802.11n.
300+300+866=1466. Should I call it AC1500 in Asus terminology? "Yes", if I use Padavan's f\w:)

Absolutely nothing and it's disabled in wireless drivers. Appropriate flash partition shows only zeroes instead of calibration settings.
I wonder if this move of Asus is based on technical reason (easier just to leave the GUI element there for all model) or simply for marketing reason?

Hi,
Can you help me. How to display on CLI information about connected stations (like on GUI):
MAC (AP Main) : 12:34:56:78:90:12
MAC (AP Guest) : 12:34:56:78:90:12
Operation Mode : AP
WPHY Mode : 11g/n
Channel Main : 7

AP Main Stations List
----------------------------------------
MAC PhyMode BW MCS SGI LDPC STBC TRate RSSI PSM Connect Time
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 20M 5 NO NO NO 52M -70 NO 250:50:16
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 20M 5 NO NO YES 52M -74 YES 195:25:37

AP Guest Stations List
----------------------------------------
MAC PhyMode BW MCS SGI LDPC STBC TRate RSSI PSM Connect Time
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 20M 15 NO NO NO 130M -57 YES 04:30:59
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 20M 7 NO NO NO 65M -51 YES 00:58:21
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 20M 7 NO NO YES 65M -53 YES 19:15:45
12:34:56:78:90:12 HTMIX 40M 0 NO NO YES 13M -91 NO 01:33:20

You can configure one guest ssid for each band (one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz)
No, it is not enough to create guest ssid. I want to create separate guest LAN with its own IP-address range, net mask and gateway. I have two gateways: main with no limits and additional with limited bandwidth. Also I want to avoid access between main and guest LANs.
Can I do it with Padavan?

No, it is not enough to create guest ssid. I want to create separate guest LAN with its own IP-address range, net mask and gateway. I have two gateways: main with no limits and additional with limited bandwidth. Also I want to avoid access between main and guest LANs.
Can I do it with Padavan?

Mostly.

Guest SSID: yes
TX rate limit: yes
Isolation/avoid access: yes

Own IP/netmask/gateway: no

XTVOeDm.jpg

Last edited: