What's new

PADI packets error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaddyPDX

Regular Contributor
With Centurylink fiber I found that I could configure my RT-AC66U so that it worked as a bridge directly to the ISP without using their modem/router. I use Merlin's firmware. I notice though that the general log is full of this error every second or so.
Jul 1 06:15:15 pppoe-relay[437]: PADI packet from 9c:97:26:5d:9e:a7 on interface vlan201 not permitted

Is there any way to configure my RT-AC66U to stop this error constantly being generated? If this is not possible does it matter if the error continues to do this?

With Centurylink fiber I found that I could configure my RT-AC66U so that it worked as a bridge directly to the ISP without using their modem/router. I use Merlin's firmware. I notice though that the general log is full of this error every second or so.
Jul 1 06:15:15 pppoe-relay[437]: PADI packet from 9c:97:26:5d:9e:a7 on interface vlan201 not permitted

Is there any way to configure my RT-AC66U to stop this error constantly being generated? If this is not possible does it matter if the error continues to do this?
Any takers?

Could be that your ISP is checking up on you :)
Here's the comment in the code where that message is generated...

/* Can a client legally be behind this interface? */

That isn't really helpful. I am using my own equipment, I'm not stealing anything.
The point being, they could be verifying the mac of the connected equipment, and your router isn't recognized. I'm not sure how direct fibre connect works, or what changes you made to get it to connect, but if you could clone your modem mac to the router that might stop the messages.

Ah. Possibly but seems unlikely. I never used their modem. I sent it back because I was able to configure my own router to make the connection. All is working fine except for that log entry every second.