What's new

patch panel help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toyz72

Occasional Visitor
my house was built in 2009,and im wanting to add a cat5e patch panel. the existing wiring is set up using a phone panel. they did run cat5e lines to my rooms,so im thinking i can remove them and add them on to a patch panel instead?

all this is behind an e-panel upstairs. im trying to find a small patch panel the will fit inside this box,or at least mount to the wall. i only really need 3 ports,but it seems the smallest i can find is 12 port. can you guys recommend me a good patch panel and recommend where to buy it?

i'm pretty new to all this and want to learn how to punch it down myself. thanks for the help.

10.JPG
10.JPG

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 470
Another option is to terminate all the Cat5 cables in your cabinet with RJ45 male plugs (568B pinning) . Convert all the phone jacks to Ethernet jacks using Keystone jacks. (568B pinning). Put a small 8 - port switch inside the enclosure. The TP-Link 8 - Port Gigabit switch I use dimensions are 6.2 x 4.0 x 1.0 inches so it will easily fit inside your enclosure and it doesn't draw many watts so heat won't be a big problem. A gigabyte switch often costs less than a patch panel.

Install your router in the best or even present location in your home. If you are using WiFi it should be centrally located it needs to be close to one of the Ethernet jacks you have converted from a telephone jack and it needs to be close to your cable modem. The feed the output of your router back to your switch by connecting a LAN port on your router to anyone of the eight LAN ports on your switch.

While it might be possible to fit the router into your cabinet heat will be a big problem as will the metal cabinet attenuating WiFi signals.

Last edited:
im trying to understand everything your telling me,and thx for another option. i can locate my modem and router to this panel.....i wanted to anyway.

but im not understanding how this switch works or connects to my router?

this switch?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CICN3Z3PrscCFRYbgQodDr4J_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

ok,ithink i get what your saying now. so all i would have to do is plug port 1 out of my router into a port on the switch? there could be up to 3 pc's on here at a time,would this cause issues with speed only coming off one port of the router?

Last edited:
I recently wired my house, moving from a fully wireless system. I taught myself how to wire. YouTube has excellent videos that teach how to do punchdown and make patch cables. Google will offer some excellent and easy to understand text articles. It's surprisingly easy.

Tools are available from Amazon for a few bucks. Buy a punchdown, a tool to clamp down cable ends, and a tester. A professional need the best. A person like you and me who only do it once need adequate tools only. They are less costly. I found using keystone connectors at the end instead of a patch panel was neater. I only have a few wires and velcro tape keeps it neat. Just label everything.

im trying to understand everything your telling me,and thx for another option. i can locate my modem and router to this panel.....i wanted to anyway.

but im not understanding how this switch works or connects to my router?

this switch?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CICN3Z3PrscCFRYbgQodDr4J_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

ok,ithink i get what your saying now. so all i would have to do is plug port 1 out of my router into a port on the switch? there could be up to 3 pc's on here at a time,would this cause issues with speed only coming off one port of the router?
My alternative was just to use a switch instead of a patch panel.

If the switch and the router both have gigabyte LAN ports you under normal home network scenarios, are not going to overload either of the devices or any of the links between them.

If you want to mount a router/switch in the box then buy a router without WiFi and install it in the box and use WiFi APs connected by Ethernet to your router anywhere you need WiFi in your house. You should be able to find a good router with eight ports for less than $50.

You can convert rj11 to rj45 because they are electrically compatible but only at 100Mb/s. You than use a connect from patch panel to switch. Its a lot better to use wire rather than wireless even though wireless AC is sometimes faster than 100Mb/s ethernet only if you're within a few feet of the router.

My alternative was just to use a switch instead of a patch panel.

If the switch and the router both have gigabyte LAN ports you under normal home network scenarios, are not going to overload either of the devices or any of the links between them.

If you want to mount a router/switch in the box then buy a router without WiFi and install it in the box and use WiFi APs connected by Ethernet to your router anywhere you need WiFi in your house. You should be able to find a good router with eight ports for less than $50.

i have a surfboard 6141 and a asus ac68r. your solution sounds pretty easy. i just thought a patch panel would make it easier just to connect ports from the router. i do also understand i would have to change the cable ends either way i go. i guess ill stew on this a while. thx for taking the time to inform me.

You have too much wire unraveled to use for Ethernet. Phone standards are much more lenient coming from the old 66 punch downs. It will work for low speeds but will not certify for higher speeds. You need to reterminate the wire in a patch panel. Do not leave the wire loose as that is solid core wire and it will break from movement.
You may get away with leaving the loose but it is not recommended. Also there are different RJ45 plugs for solid core vs stranded wire. They will not crimp correctly if you have the wrong ones.

Last edited:
Why not terminate CAT5 / CAT 6 with RJ45 and connect them directly to a switch?

It's easy and you can verify each connection with an Ideal Linkmaster testkit.