What's new

Pathetic Wireless Speed on Asus RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TeeDee

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using an Asus RT-N56U as an AP, my main router is RT-AC68U.

The N56U wireless is giving me extremely pathetic Internet speeds (20Mbps on 2.4Ghz / 100Mbps on 5Ghz). In contrast, my AC68U is giving me 100Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 250Mbps on 5Ghz (non-ac). I tried switching my N56U to router mode, but the speed remains the same. I have ensured that there is no collision in channels with my neighbors Wi-Fi, and also performed a firmware update (stock AsusWRT) to the latest version 3.0.0.4.378_4850.

I also realized that my N56U isn't giving me max speed on wired. My AC68U provides 700+Mbps on wired, but the N56U is providing only 500Mbps although it is connected directly to the AC68U. Is 500Mbps the limitation of N56U?

Appreciate any help, thanks in advance! :)

I am currently using an Asus RT-N56U as an AP, my main router is RT-AC68U.

so the n56u is connected back to the ac68u by ethernet and the n56u is running in ap from its operational mode setting ?

but the N56U is providing only 500Mbps although it is connected directly to the AC68U. Is 500Mbps the limitation of N56U?

the n56u has a wan to lan speed of WAN to LAN, 862 Mbps according to its review

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...t-wireless-n-router-reviewed?showall=&start=1

but that is with all routing and qos features etc disabled even in ap mode its not going to do 500mbps plus speeds in real life

you also have to understand the wifi on the n56u is wireless N standard 300M on 2.4 gig and 300M on 5 gig , its signal coverage is also quite poor when compared to the ac68u

so at best the wifi is only capable sub 15MB/s when connected at full sync

the n56u is pretty old wifi wise , i still use one occasionally when im on the road with it tethered to my mobile phone , it ok wifi wise in the same room but not beyond that the sync drops as does the speed

time you replaced it with another ac68u