PC can't see 5G band

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by joetiii, Dec 3, 2012.

1. joetiii

joetiii New Around Here

I have an issue with my recent router install. It seems my PC can't see the 5G band. I thought it might be a distance thing since the PC is upstairs, about 30 feet away, but when I take my laptop and put it in the room that is further from the router, the laptop can see the 5G network and log on

What's up with that?

Along those lines, I have a RoKu that sits in the same room as the router. The roku can not find the 5G network when it searches. One of my reasons for upgrading routers was being able to reduce number of wireless devices operating on one frequency. So far this is a disappointment.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Joe

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Your network card must support the 5 GHz band in addition to 2.4 GHz. Not all wireless cards do (in fact only the minority do).

3. KevTech

KevTech Senior Member

Most cards that support 5GHz support b/g/a/n

If the card supports only b/g/n (a missing) then it may not support 5GHz band.

4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

The second generation Rokus only use the 2.4 Mhz channels. Cost savings for them plus the factor that 5 Mhz signals don't carry as far so they don't work very unless your AP and Roku are in the same room.