What's new

PCE-AC68 Windows 10 Drivers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
It is very funny that the Microsoft Compatibility Center says that the adapter is compatible with Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/win...wireless+network+adapter&TempOsid=Windows+10>

It seems a new driver was released today for the AC68 for Windows 10: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=PCE-AC68&hashedid=5nt5Va5YcRysaXrr> but then was pulled, now they have a shameless pdf saying that it is plug&play, which it is not, as windows doesn't recognize it at all.

"Windows 10 Plug and Play Support This client card supports windows 10 plug and play. Do not need driver CD, driver is included in Windows 10. When the client card is inserted into a computer, Windows attempts to download and install the client card driver if it is not already available on the computer.">
Windows 10 reservation checker still says it is not compatible

How does Windows download the driver if the driver is needed by the card in order to make an internet connection?

Shame on ASUS.

It is very funny that the Microsoft Compatibility Center says that the adapter is compatible with Windows 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Hardware&Name=Asus+PCE-AC68+Wireless+Network+Adapter&ModelOrVersion=PCEAC68&Vendor=ASUS&Locale=1033,2057,3081,4105,16393&LastSearchTerm=&BreadcrumbPath=asus+pce-ac68+wireless+network+adapter&TempOsid=Windows+10>

It seems a new driver was released today for the AC68 for Windows 10: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=PCE-AC68&hashedid=5nt5Va5YcRysaXrr> but then was pulled, now they have a shameless pdf saying that it is plug&play, which it is not, as windows doesn't recognize it at all.

"Windows 10 Plug and Play Support This client card supports windows 10 plug and play. Do not need driver CD, driver is included in Windows 10. When the client card is inserted into a computer, Windows attempts to download and install the client card driver if it is not already available on the computer.">
Windows 10 reservation checker still says it is not compatible

How does Windows download the driver if the driver is needed by the card in order to make an internet connection?

Shame on ASUS.
"Windows attempts to download and install the client card driver if it is not already available on the computer." I faceplam when I read that line.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It doesn't detect it.
The win8 driver works but windows 10 updater doesn't have drivers newer than that or at all. I got internet via Ethernet to test that. The pdf is BS!

They actually had a windows 10 driver in the download link? I assume you downloaded it because I knew about the PDF over 10+hrs ago. I didn't see an actual driver link.

I had the same issue using PCE-AC68 with Win10. My usual wifi throughout was close to 1000Mbps before but dropped to 13Mpbs since upgrading Windows. The driver I use was for Win8.1 from Asus since there was no Asus Win10 driver nor native Win10 driver. I don't know why Asus website claims Win10 supports plug and play, but it's absolutely false! Fortunately a quick email to Asus did confirm they are working on updating the driver for win10. Hope this doesn't take them too long. Meanwhile I'll try @bodean 's fix.

You need to uninstall any pce-ac68 software, then go to device manager, and manually add this driver.

You need to uninstall any pce-ac68 software, then go to device manager, and manually add this driver.
Removed older driver, uninstalled anything from Asus, restarted, installed the broadcom driver, restarted again, still can't connect.

I had the same issue using PCE-AC68 with Win10. My usual wifi throughout was close to 1000Mbps before but dropped to 13Mpbs since upgrading Windows. The driver I use was for Win8.1 from Asus since there was no Asus Win10 driver nor native Win10 driver. I don't know why Asus website claims Win10 supports plug and play, but it's absolutely false! Fortunately a quick email to Asus did confirm they are working on updating the driver for win10. Hope this doesn't take them too long. Meanwhile I'll try @bodean 's fix.
It's strange you have this problem. The 2.8.8 works fine for me. Yea, drivers from driver station don't work well or at all for me. The win 10 compatible one breaks 5ghz. I think those drivers are designed for adapters with less 3 antennas.

When using this version I experienced Windows 10 (clean installation) freezes while downloading torrents at speed >= 2MB/s (using uTorrent latest free version).
I also check the previous version of Broadcom driver (7.35.267 or something) - same behavior.
After setting the swap file size at a value greater than 800MB (the initial size was 16MB as I don't need a bigger swap file) downloading with uTorrent results in instant shutdown (not even a BSOD...)

Reverting to Win8.1 Asus driver resolved the problem. Seems very stable so far.

Last edited:
It's strange you have this problem. The 2.8.8 works fine for me. Yea, drivers from driver station don't work well or at all for me. The win 10 compatible one breaks 5ghz. I think those drivers are designed for adapters with less 3 antennas.
Any idea what might be the cause? My PC has 2 wifi adapters, the PCE-AC68 and an onboard N card that came together with the PC, which I usually disable when PCEAC68 is running. I also have a RT-AC68U router and when used together with PCEAC68 the throughout was phenomenal. Since upgrading to Win10 I had to re-download Asus's Win8,1 driver and no matter what I tried, I can only get to around 13Mpbs. After reading your previous post I thought the cause was the out of date driver, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I suggest you email asus tech support and let them know of the issues. I did today, and they gave me the canned BS that said it's supported out of box, windows has drivers, and to put it into another pci-e slot. Told them we need a driver, and have yet to hear back. The more people who make them aware of the issue, the sooner we get something from them.

UPDATE: Just called and talked to them, said drivers in August. I asked how they could not have drivers ready, when they had over a year to get them ready with all the Windows 10 beta testings....she was clueless.

So I guess we wait.

Last edited:
I asked how they could not have drivers ready, when they had over a year to get them ready with all the Windows 10 beta testings....she was clueless.

I guess you're not a Creative Labs user. :(

They won't have drivers for some of their cards before... October. Every new Windows release, it's the same. Some company seems to only start working on driver support the day the OS is released, while others like AMD and nVidia have drivers ready for launch day.

I guess you're not a Creative Labs user. :(

They won't have drivers for some of their cards before... October. Every new Windows release, it's the same. Some company seems to only start working on driver support the day the OS is released, while others like AMD and nVidia have drivers ready for launch day.
The good thing is Creative actually released Win10 for their Z series. I was expecting late August but they surprised me on 8/4.

Any idea what might be the cause? My PC has 2 wifi adapters, the PCE-AC68 and an onboard N card that came together with the PC, which I usually disable when PCEAC68 is running. I also have a RT-AC68U router and when used together with PCEAC68 the throughout was phenomenal. Since upgrading to Win10 I had to re-download Asus's Win8,1 driver and no matter what I tried, I can only get to around 13Mpbs. After reading your previous post I thought the cause was the out of date driver, but now I'm not so sure anymore.
I think you should try to uninstall the drivers from device manager and make sure to check the delete software checkbox. If you already tried then Clean install windows. I'm gonna do it too. The upgrade gave me a annoying bugs. The SR1 released today didn't fix it.

The good thing is Creative actually released Win10 for their Z series. I was expecting late August but they surprised me on 8/4.

At least I have basic functionality by installing the Windows 8 driver, but lack of Crystalizer makes quite a difference to my ears :(

I think you should try to uninstall the drivers from device manager and make sure to check the delete software checkbox. If you already tried then Clean install windows. I'm gonna do it too. The upgrade gave me a annoying bugs. The SR1 released today didn't fix it.
Windows 10 was a clean install from the beginning and the way you suggested was how I uninstalled the driver.

At least I have basic functionality by installing the Windows 8 driver, but lack of Crystalizer makes quite a difference to my ears :(
This is off topic, but I was reading my system log on RT-AC68U running Merlin 378.55 and found quite a few disk spin-ups that I don't recognize. And I have no download manager on the router. My Spin-down setting is at 1800 seconds and it's been working great since I deserted stock Asus firmware for Merlin. Could you suggest a few things I should do to investigate these mysterious spin-ups?

Windows 10 was a clean install from the beginning and the way you suggested was how I uninstalled the driver.
I hope I don't run into your problem when I reinstall win10 later. Did you try removing the extra wifi card. Was the software for it installed?

I hope I don't run into your problem when I reinstall win10 later. Did you try removing the extra wifi card. Was the software for it installed?
The other card has default Win10 driver. And I think it's on the motherboard and can't be removed, not 100% sure on this however.