What's new

Per IP Traffic Monitoring and Alerts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DATurner

New Around Here
Greetings all,

I have a network in which I have 20+ Andriod Devices and several Windows systems and was looking for a Wireless Router in which I could utilize Per IP Bandwidth monitoring and possible alerts. After a couple of weeks of research some of it in this forum I felt comfortable with what I read about IP Traffic monitoring in ASUS Routers with a Merlin Firmware update so I went ahead and ordered and have initially installed an ASUS RT-87 Router.

I plan on flashing the Merlin 378.55 Firmware because from what I have been reading it still supports keeping and displaying Hostnames setup in DHCP reservation lists which is essiential for me.

When I did my initial research I found a really good step by step instruction for setting up per IP Traffic Monitoring which was another link in a tread about bandwidth monitoring, but, now after 2 days of searching I cannot find either the Thread with the instructions or the Link so I signed up and posted this thread.

I am also going to need to setup Bandwidth alerts for when it is too high or to low from specific IPs based on what is running on the systems. Is this possible from within the router? If not am I able to transmit the real time Bandwidth Data to files on a PC either wired or wireless to process with a DataMining program.

I would like to get all my ducks in a row before I upgrade the firmware. I will of course keep searching, but, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks...David T.

The firmware does not support generating alerts based on client traffic. Doing so would be quite tricky, the data isn't available in a readable format, but uses a custom node structure for storage.

Well I guess I'll have to setup with this Firmware for eyeball monitoring until I can find something to use on the Asus for sending the data or Alerts or setup something similar to SNMP or IP Sniffers that can be used on Cisco Routers.

I don't suppose any PRTG agents can be used with any of the Firmware updates for Asus Routers. If so let me know.

Thanks...David T.