What's new

Performance: Netgear R7800 vs Ubiquity router + AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Performance: Netgear R7800 vs Ubiquity router + AP

• Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Security Gateway + Ubiquiti Networks UniFI AP NanoHD

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MjWoneR

Occasional Visitor
I don't know where the industry is heading, but I'm starting to understand that I am a minority for wall mounting my routers, and prefer them in white so that they are discreet on the wall.

Anyway, I decided I could get the Netgear R7800, mount it upside down and cover it with marble contact paper to make it look less like a stealth jet fighter that has been squashed onto my wall.
Or alternatively:
A Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Security Gateway, paired with a Ubiquiti Networks UniFI AP NanoHD that is very discreet, though more expensive.

We are 2 people in a small apartment, and we rarely have more than 6-7 wireless devices active at a time (PS4, Apple TV, Denon AVR, Harmony HUB, 2 iPhones, iMac/wired).

1. I understand the Ubiquity combo, will require more advanced setup than the R7800, but is the difference in price worth it?
  2. SNB, still lists the R7800 as the best router in the "Router Ranker". Is that still true?
  3. Any other recommendation?

3. Is the RT-AC86U available in white? If not, the RT-AC68W (which is white, and you don't have a 1Gbps ISP connection). :)

Either of which is running RMerlin firmware, of course. :)

3. Is the RT-AC86U available in white? If not, the RT-AC68W (which is white, and you don't have a 1Gbps ISP connection). :)

Either of which is running RMerlin firmware, of course. :)

I see now I should have put a third poll option called other. [emoji3526]

Yes, no 1Gbps connection. Just a mere 100/10.

If I would get either of those 2, it would be the AC86U, as colour would no play a big roll anymore as neither is wall mounted and they sit vertically, so it would end up on the desk hidden behind the 27” iMac. Discreet, but it would be between a big aluminium piece and a thin wall. This is actually a viable option but I don’t know how that location will affect its performance. Maybe since the apartment is not that big there won’t be any issues by the location.

But you believe the RT-AC86U with RMerlin is the better choice?

Unlikley a single UniFi device will be anywhere near equiv to a high end consumer device for just a handful of clients. UniFi rarely shines until you get the client and AP count up there a bit higher. The biggest perk you will find is it will be quite a bit easier to make it blend into the surroundings since they look like smoke detectors.

I see now I should have put a third poll option called other. [emoji3526]

Yes, no 1Gbps connection. Just a mere 100/10.

If I would get either of those 2, it would be the AC86U, as colour would no play a big roll anymore as neither is wall mounted and they sit vertically, so it would end up on the desk hidden behind the 27” iMac. Discreet, but it would be between a big aluminium piece and a thin wall. This is actually a viable option but I don’t know how that location will affect its performance. Maybe since the apartment is not that big there won’t be any issues by the location.

But you believe the RT-AC86U with RMerlin is the better choice?

With an ISP connection of 100/10 Mbps down/up, a 2 person home network in a small apartment setup and less than a dozen devices in total, I think this is the best buy you can perform today. :)

The location you indicate makes me cringe a little. :)

But, it may work! :) :) :)

While you may save a few dollars with an RT-AC68U (or, the functionally equivalent RT-AC66 B1), the RT-AC86U is much more current tech and should last you years longer. Even as your ISP speeds increase by a factor of 10. ;)

Unlikley a single UniFi device will be anywhere near equiv to a high end consumer device for just a handful of clients. UniFi rarely shines until you get the client and AP count up there a bit higher. The biggest perk you will find is it will be quite a bit easier to make it blend into the surroundings since they look like smoke detectors.
Thanks for the input. Yes, if it’s just the smoke detector perk, then it’s not worth enough for me.

With an ISP connection of 100/10 Mbps down/up, a 2 person home network in a small apartment setup and less than a dozen devices in total, I think this is the best buy you can perform today. :)

The location you indicate makes me cringe a little. :)

But, it may work! :) :) :)

While you may save a few dollars with an RT-AC68U (or, the functionally equivalent RT-AC66 B1), the RT-AC86U is much more current tech and should last you years longer. Even as your ISP speeds increase by a factor of 10. ;)

Oh the location makes me cringe too. It’s textbook mistake. Anyway I’m going to run some tests and see how big of a mistake it is.

If there are issues maybe I can put a skin on the AC86, and find white antennas, and make some sort of wall mount.

Why does SNB still lists the Netgear R7800 as best router?

Thanks for the input. Yes, if it’s just the smoke detector perk, then it’s not worth enough for me.

Oh the location makes me cringe too. It’s textbook mistake. Anyway I’m going to run some tests and see how big of a mistake it is.

If there are issues maybe I can put a skin on the AC86, and find white antennas, and make some sort of wall mount.

Why does SNB still lists the Netgear R7800 as best router?

Previous ('stuck in time') Lab tested 'best' and current 'best' real world are never aligned. :)

The R7800 was/is great hardware.

Asus + RMerlin + amtm + Scripts is just better all around. :)

... A Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Security Gateway, paired with a Ubiquiti Networks UniFI AP NanoHD that is very discreet, though more expensive.

This Ubiquiti Unifi option is missing a switch (not sure if you have a switch already). Managed switch if you were going to set up separate vlans. I think the nanoHD uses a Mediatek wireless chip. Also, enabling the IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) on the USG will lower maximum throughput to roughly 85 Mbps.

An alternative comparable Unifi option would be the Unifi Dream Machine (UDM) available in the Ubiquiti Early Access Store (beta product) and still more expensive than the Netgear option though. Also, I don't think it comes with the option to wall mount. Looks more like a fatter and rounder Linksys Velop. If you really want to tinker in the Unifi world, the UDM is an all-in-one router/ap/managed switch/controller. You would have the ability to also add one or more Unifi AP's if the wire is already run. Again, this is a beta product which may never be officially released. It's been selling out though every time there is stock available.

Last edited:
This Ubiquiti Unifi option is missing a switch (not sure if you have a switch already). Managed switch if you were going to set up separate vlans. I think the nanoHD uses a Mediatek wireless chip. Also, enabling the IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) on the USG will lower maximum throughput to roughly 85 Mbps.

An alternative comparable Unifi option would be the Unifi Dream Machine (UDM) available in the Ubiquiti Early Access Store (beta product) and still more expensive than the Netgear option though. Also, I don't think it comes with the option to wall mount. Looks more like a fatter and rounder Linksys Velop. If you really want to tinker in the Unifi world, the UDM is an all-in-one router/ap/managed switch/controller. You would have the ability to also add one or more Unifi AP's if the wire is already run. Again, this is a beta product which may never be officially released. It's been selling out though every time there is stock available.
It's good Ubiquiti wants to launch a more all-in-one, and more consumer friendly device. Yes it's more expensive, than the R7800 and AC86U but isn't outlandish either.
Anyway the beta status and the rounded form put me off.

Preface:
I have R7800, Synology 2600 and Asus 86u at home (do not ask - GAS ;) ). While I did not like 7800 originally (thus 2600 and 86U) it turned out to be my most reliable router.
Re-furbishing new apartment I originally decided to go with Ubiquiti - even purchased UAP AC PRO, but after reading UBNT community posts it turned out that USG3P is underpowered,while USG 4Pro is noisy and slightly underpowered. Then the amount of problems with new firmwares, compatibility etc sort off pushed me off UBNT.

Having AC PRO in hand I tried to compare it's range vs R7800 - well, R7800 came out as a winner: a few dB more everywhere on 5 GHz. Did not do any speed comparison tests, as I had no other hardware available at the time.
So for me - R7800 is a winner, though....

... i have read somewhere here about WAN-LAN speed limit (believe single stream, port 80) of R7800 being approx 300-400 mbit.
My Wan connections are slower, so it does not affect me much.

Preface:
I have R7800, Synology 2600 and Asus 86u at home (do not ask - GAS ;) ). While I did not like 7800 originally (thus 2600 and 86U) it turned out to be my most reliable router.
Re-furbishing new apartment I originally decided to go with Ubiquiti - even purchased UAP AC PRO, but after reading UBNT community posts it turned out that USG3P is underpowered,while USG 4Pro is noisy and slightly underpowered. Then the amount of problems with new firmwares, compatibility etc sort off pushed me off UBNT.

Having AC PRO in hand I tried to compare it's range vs R7800 - well, R7800 came out as a winner: a few dB more everywhere on 5 GHz. Did not do any speed comparison tests, as I had no other hardware available at the time.
So for me - R7800 is a winner, though....

... i have read somewhere here about WAN-LAN speed limit (believe single stream, port 80) of R7800 being approx 300-400 mbit.
My Wan connections are slower, so it does not affect me much.

If you were just looking for range in the Ubiquiti Unifi line, the UAP AC LR might have been the better option for a wireless AP with the USG3 (wired router; can be wall mounted). Maybe even a nanoHD wireless AP would suffice. Not sure what you mean by the USG3 being underpowered as it can throughput close to gigabit speeds up and down (wire). The "penalty" is when you turn on IPS (intrusion prevention system) which may drop throughput to 85Mbps, but I've been able to get between 250 - 300 Mbps when I did have the USG3 with IPS on. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent to IPS on the Netgear 7800.

I've previously used the R8000 and R8500, but had issues with dead/weak spots in the 1st and 2nd floor front and 1st floor rear of the house. Was mostly resolved when I switched over to an Orbi with 2 satellites, but had satellite disconnect issues that could not get resolved. Also, tried Google WiFi (3 units), but still had weak spots plus loss of speed (no disconnects though).

Decided to wire the house with Cat6 and 6a and I suppose I could have re-used the R8500 as the router, but then decided to go all Ubiquiti Unifi including 5 AP's and 4 switches. A USG4 Pro router, 16 Port POE switch and UPS are rack mounted in the basement.

Ubiquiti definitely needs a new router in the Unifi line that can handle gigabit speeds with IPS turned on (and much less than their Enterprise 10G router/gateway) and I think the Unifi Dream Machine (UDM) is the pre-cursor (up to 700 Mbps with IPS turned on and a new OS), but it's only in the Early Access stage at this point.

I've already veered off too much from the OP's question.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply - by "underpowered" I meant this IPS limit you mentioned - used to be 85, but I believe that one of the FW upgraded it a bit higher. And fully agreee - UBNT should come up with something more powerful asap, as they are behind present speeds.
Regarding range - AC PRO should be enough for my needs (small apartment), though AP LR was my first choice. Later I decided to go AC PRO way due to 3x3 vs 2x2. In fact I still have LR unpacked - but will not be able to test it until late July when I am back home.
UDM would be nice - but I do think that it will not be available in Europe for quite some time.
I have wired the apartment (slightly over the top - about 12 outlets, some double), so WiFi will be for mobile devices only. I just wish UBNT FW were more polished/tested before being released.
R7800 - is far from perfect (see post about LAN/WAN limit of 350-400 Mbps) - well, if acting as AP this puts Netgear way below USG3....
I might give USG3 cheapo a try - hoping i will not run into issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!