What's new

performance of WiFi bridge vs a dedicated wireless card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
Yeah, I know I should run CAT6, but it is not practical. Ok, I've got that out of the way...

My Son's desktop has a poor wifi card, and something changed a week or two ago that made it worse than it was. I tried all the typical re-seat, uninstall/re-install drivers but the performance was horrible. Its only a 2.4Ghz "N".

As an interim fix, I setup my backup router in WiFi bridge mode running over 5Ghz - N, and his system wired to the router over ethernet. Speed is good again.

Speedtest was at best 4Mb/sec download. After setting up the bridged-mode router speed is 88Mb/sec download. I didn't run local tests, as he needed to get back to saving the galaxy from the dark side.

His system has one PCIe slot available, but it is only a X1 speed. I think the "built-in" wifi is a mini pci card slot that predates M2.

What are pros-cons of the different PCI cards vs USB vs leaving this in wifi bridged mode?

I know, I should just pull up carpet, drill some holes and run cable... But, until then.

thanks in advance.

edit: I should add, my macbook pro in the same location running on the 2.4Ghz net pulled down about 85Gb on speed test so the location isn't bad, just hard to get wires to, so clearly I believe his WiFi card is doo-doo.

Last edited:
What are pros-cons of the different PCI cards vs USB vs leaving this in wifi bridged mode?

while there is little real noticeable difference a router in media bridge mode will prob act as a better client due to its better antennas and ability to place it for best tx and rx

latency and the way wireless works in a shared environment usually dont make for good gaming requirements no matter what type of wifi client you use

you might be better to look at a powerline / EOP solution for the boys needs

Thanks, for the comments. What if the WiFi is not shared?

Most everything else is wired ethernet, or 2.4Ghz.

The phones seem to connect to the 2.4Ghz before the 5, and they are not doing anything anyway.

Best I can tell there is nothing else within a quarter mile (100+ meters) on 5Ghz.

Thanks, for the comments. What if the WiFi is not shared?

its in a shared space by the fact its wireless and shares the air with many forms on competition and interference

The phones seem to connect to the 2.4Ghz before the 5
try changing the order in how they connect or take out the 2.4 gig remembered connection eg click forget it

Best I can tell there is nothing else within a quarter mile (100+ meters) on 5Ghz.
5 gig doesnt travel as far or penetrate as far or as good as 2.4 gig anyway but does give higher speeds if connected well and sync'd at its max

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!