What's new

PIA VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris121284

Occasional Visitor
Maybe I just don't understand how a VPN is supposed to work or maybe I am just not understanding the tutorials I've found but I have an ASUS RT-AC5300 with merlin 384.7 . I thought I had my PIA set up directly with the router by following this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...and-other-vpn-providers-384-5-07-10-18.30851/

the instructions weren't identical due to the different firmware version or whatever but I matched up as much as I could. The problem I keep having is that I CONSTANTLY get DDoS attacks from other players while online gaming. Should running the router with VPN not prevent this?? Am I missing something? Anyone will any insight would be much appreciated as I just had this happen so bad my router wouldn't come back online for hours.

Using a VPN only makes you play from a different IP. If the other players can see your VPN IP (because you connect with them), then they will just DDoS you through the VPN instead of directly through your ISP's WAN IP.

And if they know your WAN IP, they can still DDoS you through that IP.

Bottom line, a VPN isn't going to help you against DDoS attacks.