What's new

Ping (ICMP) not working even though enabled.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wam7

Occasional Visitor
Hi, how to I get Respond to Ping Request from WAN to work in Merlin 380.59?

1. I have enabled and applied it in the settings in my Asus AC68U

2. I have pinged it from outside and it does not respond. Think Broadband Monitor not responding either.

3. I have cable modem in 'modem only' mode.

4. It worked perfectly when using Tomato Shibby previously

Did you reboot the router?

How did you ping it 'from outside'?

Make sure your modem is really bridged. Also, check to see if your ISP uses CGNAT, which would probably prevent pings from reaching you.

Make sure your modem is really bridged. Also, check to see if your ISP uses CGNAT, which would probably prevent pings from reaching you.
As far as I can find out VirginMedia (UK) do not employ CGNAT on their network.

I'm not sure how to check if the modem is really bridged, though I did

• connect directly via RJ45 from PC to the SuperHub 3 in modem only mode, disable windows firewall and anti virus etc and was still not able to ping WAN ipaddress
• put the SuperHub 3 back into modem/router mode and disable the built in firewall. I was then able to ping the new WAN ipaddress which had changed from the one when in modem only mode.

This was all working fine a few days ago using Shibby so I'm going to flash back to that and test just so I can be sure something has changed in the SuperHub 3. I do believe the firmware has been updated to fix "wifi issues that it had".

Also make sure you are testing the right IP. Changing firmware can lead your ISP to issue you a different IP.

Also make sure you are testing the right IP. Changing firmware can lead your ISP to issue you a different IP.
Yes you are right, the IP did change but I was pinging the right one as verified with VirginMedia techinal support.

I flashed back to Shibby using recovery utility and ping worked perfectly so I flashed the Merlin beta 380.60 and this time cleared NVRAM by way of the WPS button and it works perfectly now. My IP address is back to the original when it was on Shibby so I'm still not 100% what was the cause though I will go with clearing the NVRAM after flash did the trick.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!