What's new

Ping Script to Auto Restart?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buttzcool

New Around Here
First of all thanks to RMerlin for his work on this router and the support he's given to date. I'm a newbie and normally I'll source the answer from somewhere but I'm getting desperate now as I need this router to be up 24/7 . I been changing settings and testing the reliability of new settings over a few days but nothings helped as I guessed it wouldn't as my previous routers had the same random drop-outs. When I researched the drop-out problem it seems many Vodafone users in Ireland have had this complaint. Seems to be localised to this ISP.

Easy solution is to change ISP but others are more expensive and monitor your traffic and issue bans. My Drop-outs are random from a fresh reboot maybe 4 hours later to 5 days later but normally once every 2 days. I restart the router every morning before leaving for work which seems to keep the drop-outs to a minimum. Ideally I need a script to ping maybe 3 different address's and if all fail to reboot the router and optionally email me it was down. Be great if ASUS implemented this feature in the firmware. I found scripts like this but don't no how to adjust them to run within the router itself only from Linux systems.

Anyone out there with a simple script and instructions on how to install this in jffs and cron?