What's new

Place router behind another router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pstoric83

New Around Here
Moving to a new place with everything included and I'll just have a CAT5e run from the router in the main section of the house to the first floor where I'll be. I know I can setup my Asus AC66U as just an AP but I may want to use it in router mode to segment my equipment on a different subnet to keep my stuff seperate. Assuming the router from the main floor is stock it will be 192.168.1.xxx so as long as I make my network 192.168.100.xxx for example it should work without any conflict right?

That's what I thought just wanted to 2x check. I know it's not ideal but good to know it's possible if I want to. Thanks!

With the example you show (the second router being numerically higher than the main router), your 100.x LAN will be able to access the 1.x LAN but not vice versa. Not a limitation, but something you should expect to see as 'normal'.

With the example you show (the second router being numerically higher than the main router), your 100.x LAN will be able to access the 1.x LAN but not vice versa. Not a limitation, but something you should expect to see as 'normal'.
As per the online conversation I had last week with Merlin, it is not the numeric range of the two subnets (higher vs lower ) that controls the ability to connect between two subnets but the connection type LAN vs WAN. The secondary router that is double NATed behind the primary router can connect with devices on the primary LAN's subnet because the primary router sees the request coming in over a LAN connection. Going the other way the connection is seen as coming from the WAN and no connection is made.

Correct and that's what I want to happen. My devices will separate from devices connected to the primary router. No need for my devices to connect with anything on the primary LAN actually I want to keep separate. Just need to get to the "cloud" lol. Thanks!

As per the online conversation I had last week with Merlin, it is not the numeric range of the two subnets (higher vs lower ) that controls the ability to connect between two subnets but the connection type LAN vs WAN. The secondary router that is double NATed behind the primary router can connect with devices on the primary LAN's subnet because the primary router sees the request coming in over a LAN connection. Going the other way the connection is seen as coming from the WAN and no connection is made.

Your are correct. As I was too. :)