What's new

Please advise on a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nicknack35

New Around Here
Hey all nice to be here im new to the forum and also new to the world of NAS . And not sure which way to about things i currently have a pc in me and the Mrs bedroom we watch alot of BluRays on the PC its an i5 processor so up to the job the files are over 20gig remuxes. Now the drive on me PC and the external drives are just about full. Now the tv downstairs is the Samsung H6400 48" the tv in the bedroom is the 40" version. Now the TV downstairs has a Canton D55 soundbase connected and Also a QUAD CORE android tv box which is quite powerful and fairly fast this plays 1080p movies no problem the box is the T8 V3 from Droidsticks. Now due to me drives nearly full im looking to purchase a NAS so i could have PLEX i have the media server and also the home theatre installed on my PC and the PLEX app on my android box. So my question is do i need a NAS to transcode if so which one would any of you please advise with PLEX. If not to transcode which else could i go for with PLEX im after 2 bay maybe 6tb WD red to start with. Any help would be really Appreciated thanks

If your TVs are able to play the current dvd rips it shouldn't matter where they are stored.

Having said that, I am quite happy with NAS4Free for storage and Kodi for playback.

Well i was looking at the Qnap TS-251 But after looking on the PLEX forum there's issues with PLEX crashing on the Qnap NAS at the moment and still no fix after 6 months

Well i was looking at the Qnap TS-251 But after looking on the PLEX forum there's issues with PLEX crashing on the Qnap NAS at the moment and still no fix after 6 months

Don't need Plex do to DLNA media serving...

(I don't use Plex due to their Terms/Conditions which gives them full access to my media library, and allows them to redistribute on their own to anyone else)