What's new

Please advise...Take my money!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stol3n

New Around Here
First post here, glad to be aboard. My situation is simple...-ish.

To keep things condensed, I currently have an Archer C7 v2 hooked to a SB6141 which has been 100% rock solid for me. I’m currently on a Comcast 150mbps blast plan with no real intentions of speeding up (at least for the next year). Over the years my household has grown and so have our devices. Currently, a MacBook Pro, a PS4, a Nintendo Switch, several iPhones, iPads, and a few Rokus/Apple TV’s.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m both electronically/networking challenged but have started to wonder if I should upgrade. My house is about 2,000 sqft on the main with a finished basement to match and find the C7 struggling to cover the area. I’m trying to avoid a mesh system if possible and hope that picking up a mid entry router will help fill the voids.

I have narrowed it to three:

TP Link C3150 v2 -$130
Linksys EA8300- $110
Netgear X4S R7800. -$155

Given those price points which would provide me with the best range, speed, and stability. I also have a Netgear R7000 that I have not opened that I picked up for $45 @ Home Depot. Is the R7800 $100 better than the R7000 that I already have.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I have a smallish home and I will say I did not notice a large difference in wifi coverage between the R7000 and R7800. Like you though I have so many devices and the R7800 seemed better for my future needs.

You try the R7000 and the your current routers as an access point and see if you get the wifi coverage you want. I think it you anticipate upgrading your WAN speed and increasing the number of devices the 7800 may give you some more wiggle room.

what hardwired cable systems do you have - RG6 coax cable or CAT5e that would get to the weak areas of the house ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!