What's new

Please help me get the speed out of my NAS that I should be getting!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jwspid24

New Around Here
I've exhausted all other resources to help me get my NAS reading and writing at an acceptable speed. I have an MSI wind PC set up as a file server, based off several of the articles in SmallNetBuilder which have been very helpful. It has 2GB of RAM, a 1.6 single core atom processor. It also has a 120 GB SATA drive for the OS which is Ubuntu Server. Then I have a Hitachi Deskstar 7500 1 TB drive as my storage. No matter where I copy files from or to, I can not get over 21MB/s as my speed. I've tried using a XP, Vista and Win 7 client to copy from and get the same result with them all. I have even tried copying from a client to the Wind with WIndows installed on it. I still get the same speed! From everything that I have read I should be read/writing at 40MB/s. What might be the problem?? I appreciate any advice I can get to save my sanity.

My assumption is your Wind PC is something like this.

First up how is your 1TB drive connected to the Wind PC/NAS?
Have you tried testing using the 120GB drive?

00Roush

How are you measuring the speed and what are you transferring? Small files and lots of files in folders will drastically reduce speed. You'll see highest speed using > 1 GB files.