What's new

Please remove fake Adobe Flash warning (malware!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ruffy91

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Today I was greeted with this popup (see attachment), which I could not close without clicking update.
As you can see the link is to a known malware distributing page (flash-player.win which installs "Optimum Installer").
Please resolve this ASAP!

Best Regards
Fabian

Attachments

• snb_malware.png
    snb_malware.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 712
Hi,

Today I was greeted with this popup (see attachment), which I could not close without clicking update.
As you can see the link is to a known malware distributing page (flash-player.win which installs "Optimum Installer").
Please resolve this ASAP!

Best Regards
Fabian
This issue has been addressed yesterday and is specific to the Chrome browser. Try clearing your browser cache.

This issue has been addressed yesterday and is specific to the Chrome browser. Try clearing your browser cache.
Indeed, clearing the cache removed the popup.
I'm very sure that it was something site specific as it didn't appear on other sites.

Tim I think the problem still exists. I just had a similar experience - except Chrome popped up one of its red security warning pages to prevent the fake flash update page from displaying. Very likely that this is being served through malvertising , or else your site has been compromised in another way. Suggest for the sake of your readers that this gets investigated in detail.

Last edited:
I am continuing to investigate the problem and apologize for the hassle.

I have checked with both ad partners and they have no reports of poisoned ads. To get them to investigate further, I need a clearly readable image of the ad trace or at least some portion of the ad code indicating the click URL or an image source URL.

The problem appears to be specific to Chrome, which reliably detects and stops the "ad".

I have thoroughly inspected and AV scanned the entire site multiple times and it's clean. I have cleared site and Cloudflare caches multiple times.

If you experience the problem, clear your browser cache and check your Chrome plugins for anything you haven't put there. (chrome://plugins). Toolbar "helpers" are common sources for these problems.

Found a modified template file that had an unchanged file modification date. Bastids...

I've cleared caches again and paused Cloudflare for awhile. Let me know if you still have a problem.

Same here, actually got it on an incognito tab as well when I tried so don't believe plugins or cache would be at play.

I think the easy answer here is uninstall and don't run Adobe Flash - period... and it you need to have flash for some web app, use Chrome - a bad actor might cause a bit of pain, but generally it will be localized to Chrome, and Google is very good about keeping Chrome up to date.

@thiggins - can you ask the Ad Vendors to stop sending over Flash-based ad's period - many folks are running ad-blockers for that very reason, not that they don't want ads, but they're concerned about security issues.

sfx, has nothing to do with flash. It's a hacked file.

Guys: I think I got it. Was buried deeper this time. Please let me know if you still see it. Sorry for the problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!