What's new

Plex Media Server running on AsusWRT Arm Routers!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated to v0.9.16.4
New
Update Plex/Web to 2.6.0
Fixes
(Media Optimizer) Episodes from shows whose titles have trailing periods might be repeatedly reprocessed (on Windows).
(Media Optimizer) Transcoded special episodes weren't following the naming convention.
(Media Optimizer) Optimized versions could be automatically deleted while being watched.
(Transcoder) Transcoder process crashes weren't being reliably detected on non-Windows platforms.
(Transcoder) Issues transcoding music files with high sampling rates.
(Transcoder) The highest quality audio encoder wasn't always selected with Direct Streaming disabled.
(DLNA) Crashes entering movie sections with Samsung Smart TV DLNA client.
(Windows) Show tray icon on recent Windows Insider Preview builds.
(Windows) Overwrite older files more reliably during setup.
(Metadata) Download higher quality artist posters from last.fm.
(Metadata) Fix top tracks for music libraries.
(Metadata) Missing Rotten Tomatoes metadata when movie has no trailers and language is not set to English
(PS4) Certain images weren't being cached while browsing.
(Web) Plex Pass privileges weren't being recognized on first sign-in.
Issues with .plexignore files.
Issues with playback from some unofficial Plex Channels.

Online now, if you cannot access it yet, because dns cache, try with ip address 84.39.97.33

Folks, with a powerful enough router such as the RT-AC87U or RT-AC88U, I can highly recommend Plex over Minidlna. I am running Plex on a Bananapi presently, connected directly to my RT-AC88U over the 1Gb ethernet link. Runs great.

This is a full featured media server, much more intelligent with managing media/databases.

I am going to give TeHashX plex instructions a go. My dual-cores need some workout!

Taken from clicking the link in the OP

Works only on arm routers like RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200, RT-AC5300...
No transcoding capabilities, just direct play on supported devices, like Samsung TVs, Plex Android App...

Tested on RT-AC68U rev A2, RMerlin firmware v380.57, hdd usb3, Optware-NG & Entware-NG

Are you therefore saying this will work better on the likes of an 87u as it has a dual core processor?

Thanks

Success installation.

-not less then 2GB of free space on fdd/hdd is required
-swap file must be 512mb or bigger

I made automatic mounting of samba to usb at boot via "services-start" script:

mkdir /tmp/mnt/sda1/Media/music
mkdir /tmp/mnt/sda1/Media/video

create file: "/jffs/scripts/mount"
#!/bin/sh
mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSER,password=YOURPASS //192.168.1.4/MUSICFOLDER /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/debian/mnt/music
mount -t cifs -o username=YOURUSER,password=YOURPASS //192.168.1.4/VIDEOFOLDER /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware-ng.arm/debian/mnt/video
logger SMB - Mounted!

add this string to "/jffs/scripts/services-start"
source /jffs/scripts/mount

set permissions:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

Last edited:
It's convenient, but is running media, or any high-load services on your most important networking device a good idea (assuming the device is the gateway router)?

It's just play through - no transcoding - probably will take a few CPU cycles to parse the directory and build the index, but once done, it's not much different than sharing files over Samba...

My thoughts - while it "can" be done, it's a question of "should" it be done - and this I would have to suggest that there are alternatives, and with some folks already having issues with very high speed WAN connections just for routing, it really comes down to personal priorities...

is it possible to install this on a WD Mycloud 4TB "NON-MIRROR" ?
If so can you instruct or provide Links ?
Thank you

I don't have that option(add an app)

upload_2016-7-27_9-29-35.png