What's new

Plume anyone?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aqualung

Occasional Visitor
Yep, moving and currently pondering if I should replace my trusty old R7000 with something else. Looking at (a) some newer AC5300 router or (b) some mesh solution. Regarding the latter, Plume caught my eye. Anyone knows of a review for Plume? Any comparisons between that and some other more "traditional" mesh WiFi systems?

You need to provide more details if you want a sensible answer to your main question above.

I would suggest you forget about 'mesh' networks (in their entirety). In time, this fad will die too.

What was your old network environment like? Size in SqFt, number of devices, ISP level, etc.?

What is your new environment and did your network needs change?

You don't need to get the most expensive current router today, the RT-AC3100 and the RT-AC1900P (BestBuy only) may give you all you need at a much lower cost and with more reliability than a cloud based (yes, they all are) 'mesh' solution that may be here today and gone tomorrow.

Yep, moving and currently pondering if I should replace my trusty old R7000 with something else. Looking at (a) some newer AC5300 router or (b) some mesh solution. Regarding the latter, Plume caught my eye. Anyone knows of a review for Plume? Any comparisons between that and some other more "traditional" mesh WiFi systems?
Plume is one of the newer entrants and is not yet shipping. The per point cost is very low, but note the # of points you need is higher than eero, Luma and AmpliFi.

I don't agree with L&LD's assessment that multi-AP systems are a "fad". It is early days and a lot of work remains to be done to get band steering, load balancing (among APs) and other network management features tuned. But the positives are that "mesh' doesn't depend on devices supporting newer technologies like MU-MIMO and 160MHz bandwidth.

More APs also can provide higher network capacity by operating on more channels.

At any rate, it's too early to know where mesh will end up. You just need to decide whether you want to be an early adopter and enjoy all the "benfits" that come with that approach.

I don't agree with L&LD's assessment that multi-AP systems are a "fad". It is early days and a lot of work remains to be done to get band steering, load balancing (among APs) and other network management features tuned. But the positives are that "mesh' doesn't depend on devices supporting newer technologies like MU-MIMO and 160MHz bandwidth.

More APs also can provide higher network capacity by operating on more channels.

At any rate, it's too early to know where mesh will end up. You just need to decide whether you want to be an early adopter and enjoy all the "benfits" that come with that approach.

I agree we'll all need to wait and see where this track will lead to. :)

But any single installation using 'more channels' is a detriment to everyone else nearby (and themselves too). Basic RF knowledge. That is why I strongly believe 'mesh' will go nowhere fast.

The issue today is that for most consumers their immediate environments are already (too) saturated with WiFi signals. Adding more to that is not the solution. At least not in the long term.

Sure, the early adaptors will benefit by drowning their neighbors with their signals (WiFi, backhaul and any other trick manufactures can and will use to make their systems superior, at least initially). But when all or most of the neighbors have their own 'mesh' gear on a single block, apt. or other small area, the groaning will be very loud from all.

I also don't believe that a device not supporting the newest technology is a positive? Even if the benefits of the new tech isn't being leveraged at all today or the near future.

But any single installation using 'more channels' is a detriment to everyone else nearby
By your logic, every enterprise Wi-Fi network is a menace, then. As are public Wi-Fi networks.

Multi-AP networks require knowledge to configure and manage properly. These techniques are beyond the capability of most consumers. The sooner truly "smart" Wi-Fi systems get here, the better.

By your logic, every enterprise Wi-Fi network is a menace, then. As are public Wi-Fi networks.

Multi-AP networks require knowledge to configure and manage properly. These techniques are beyond the capability of most consumers. The sooner truly "smart" Wi-Fi systems get here, the better.

Yes, most enterprise and almost all public (example; Shaw Go WiFi) are.

You are not giving consumers enough credit, I think. ;)

'Smart' WiFi? Sure, I'll buy into that. If they allow me to continue to setup the system manually (how I need it, not how some marketing dept. thinks I do) and are actually designed to help, not destroy the nearby WiFi networks they'll co-exist in.

That is, also given that they match or better yet exceed the performance of what they hope to replace and they can do so at a lower price point too.

Simple isn't the answer for everything. Effort is needed for anything worthwhile.

Thanks for the replies. If any of youse happen to come across any reviews, please post links here.