What's new

Poor 2.4Ghz performance w/new Archer C7 v4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djc6

Occasional Visitor
My parents switched internet providers, from 18/2 service with AT&T to cheaper 100/10 service with Cox. Previously, AT&T provided all of the equipment.

I gave my parents a 24x8 Netgear CM600 (I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem) and bought them an TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 router for $65 on Newegg. Each of them have an iPad, those are basically only devices in the house. There is an iMac that is rarely used.

The router is in the basement, centrally located. Single story ranch, ~1100sqft - basement is same size.

5Ghz works fine, I can get the full 100/10 pretty much anywhere in the house. However, 2.4Ghz is abysmal on the first floor - I get like 10Mbps - sometimes less. In the basement, router supplies full 100Mbps on 2.4Ghz.

With Netspot, on the first floor I can see 37 (!) 2.4Ghz networks! While in basement, I see eight 2.4Ghz networks. 2.4Ghz works fine down there.

While on first floor, I see only seven 5Ghz networks.

My question is... do I have a broken router? Will another <$150 router have substantially better 2.4Ghz performance? Or is there just crazy interference on 2.4Ghz and I should only use 5Ghz. All devices are 5Ghz capable anyways.

Another data point that may prove its interference.. on day of Cox install, I tried working from their home using Wi-Fi tethering to my iPhone 6S. Wi-Fi menu on laptop showed I was connected on 2.4Ghz for the tethering. I was getting about 6Mbps. I then tethered in wired mode with USB/lightning cable and got about 40Mbps. I left phone in same spot.

Only other device I had around to test with was a ten year old draft-802.11n apple airport express, I tried configuring it as a router and it was unusably slow, <1Mbps.

Last edited:
My parents switched internet providers, from 18/2 service with AT&T to cheaper 100/10 service with Cox. Previously, AT&T provided all of the equipment.

I gave my parents a 24x8 Netgear CM600 (I recently upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem) and bought them an TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 router for $65 on Newegg. Each of them have an iPad, those are basically only devices in the house. There is an iMac that is rarely used.

The router is in the basement, centrally located. Single story ranch, ~1100sqft - basement is same size.

5Ghz works fine, I can get the full 100/10 pretty much anywhere in the house. However, 2.4Ghz is abysmal on the first floor - I get like 10Mbps - sometimes less. In the basement, router supplies full 100Mbps on 2.4Ghz.

With Netspot, on the first floor I can see 37 (!) 2.4Ghz networks! While in basement, I see eight 2.4Ghz networks. 2.4Ghz works fine down there.

While on first floor, I see only seven 5Ghz networks.

My question is... do I have a broken router? Will another <$150 router have substantially better 2.4Ghz performance? Or is there just crazy interference on 2.4Ghz and I should only use 5Ghz. All devices are 5Ghz capable anyways.

Another data point that may prove its interference.. on day of Cox install, I tried working from their home using Wi-Fi tethering to my iPhone 6S. Wi-Fi menu on laptop showed I was connected on 2.4Ghz for the tethering. I was getting about 6Mbps. I then tethered in wired mode with USB/lightning cable and got about 40Mbps. I left phone in same spot.

Only other device I had around to test with was a ten year old draft-802.11n apple airport express, I tried configuring it as a router and it was unusably slow, <1Mbps.

My first thoughts... the basement is below grade and more shielded from neighboring 2.4 GHz 'noise'; and your signal is closer/stronger there. Router 2.4 GHz WLAN seems to work there. Maybe the old router was no better but you didn't notice because the ISP speeds were not good either.

I assume you are running n-only on 2.4 GHz for best performance.

Raising the router could increase its relative signal strength on the main level... perhaps moving it out from behind any material/duct work/etc. that might attenuate/reflect the signal. Or put it on the main level and drop an Ethernet cable through the floor. A spare 100' patch cable is handy for testing this. Having 2.4 GHz on the main level might help it to reach the yard/deck/patio where it is most likely to be necessary... beyond the range of 5.0 GHz.

Use a reputable WiFi analyzer app to assess 2.4 GHz congestion. Then set the router 2.4 GHz band to use the least congested channel 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth... these do not overlap. A good/green signal would be -60 to -40 dBm. This is a popular Android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Try to improve performance with what you've got. Then you'll know if you need to try a better router in a better location.

OE

Last edited:

Thanks for the response! I have a 2nd gen 2013 Nexus 7 that I installed this app on.

I assume you are running n-only on 2.4 GHz for best performance.

Its on a/b/g/n mixed mode. I'll change this, thanks for the suggestion.

Then set the router 2.4 GHz band to use the least congested channel 1,6,11 at 20 MHz bandwidth... these do not overlap.

Its on 40Mhz with Auto channel selection, will also try changing this! I suspect it doesn't help that router is auto selecting a channel based on what it sees in the basement, not what I see upstairs.

At my home I have an Orbi RBK53 three-pack from Costco; I set it up over a year ago and haven't had to tweak much - I'm out of practice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I have a 2nd gen 2013 Nexus 7 that I installed this app on.

Same here... I have really enjoyed this tablet.

You can toggle the channel graph band by using the 2.4/5.0 icon in the upper left margin... it disappears when you are not using it.

Good point about the router not seeing the main level noise.

OE