What's new

Poor Wireless Mouse Response Solutions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mick Mickle

Regular Contributor
(This may already be a reported issue -- if so sorry -- but this post might help someone.)

I've noticed for a few months that my Logitech VX wireless mouse often requires clicking on something more than once to get an action. And sometimes the cursor doesn't seem to bring the target into full focus when hovering. It's been quite a nuisance. After uninstalling drivers, replacing batteries, and other troubleshooting, I found some references to 2.4MHz interference that could be a cause. One solution was to bring the mouse USB receiver from the back of the computer to the front. But I realized that the condition probably started about the time I installed my Asus RT-N66R (and, duh, it's been sitting handy next to my monitor so I could easily play with it, changing firmware and such, instead of being put up higher where my former router was). The N66 radio has pretty effective coverage, which is why we like it. So it stands to reason that it can also mess with the wireless mouse control if it's too close or the frequencies conflict.

To confirm that the router was causing the mouse interference, I shut off both radios in the UI. Voila! -- The mouse worked perfectly. When I turned them back on, so far, still no mouse problems. I haven't checked, but maybe the router sensed the mouse frequency and changed the channel (would it do that?). Naturally, I think the long-term solution is moving the router further from the mouse-receiver proximity.

Hope this helps someone else who might be experiencing this problem.

Another solution would be a corded mouse :D. Maybe a bluetooth mouse? Is there such an animal?

Bluetooth devices operate within the 2.4 GHz band!

Maybe a bluetooth mouse? Is there such an animal?

Bluetooth devices also operate within the 2.4 GHz band!
I had the same problem with my BT mouse for my notebook. :mad:

==> Only cord mouse will solve the problem for sure! <===

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

(This may already be a reported issue -- if so sorry -- but this post might help someone.)

I've noticed for a few months that my Logitech VX wireless mouse often requires clicking on something more than once to get an action. And sometimes the cursor doesn't seem to bring the target into full focus when hovering. It's been quite a nuisance. After uninstalling drivers, replacing batteries, and other troubleshooting, I found some references to 2.4MHz interference that could be a cause. One solution was to bring the mouse USB receiver from the back of the computer to the front. But I realized that the condition probably started about the time I installed my Asus RT-N66R (and, duh, it's been sitting handy next to my monitor so I could easily play with it, changing firmware and such, instead of being put up higher where my former router was). The N66 radio has pretty effective coverage, which is why we like it. So it stands to reason that it can also mess with the wireless mouse control if it's too close or the frequencies conflict.

To confirm that the router was causing the mouse interference, I shut off both radios in the UI. Voila! -- The mouse worked perfectly. When I turned them back on, so far, still no mouse problems. I haven't checked, but maybe the router sensed the mouse frequency and changed the channel (would it do that?). Naturally, I think the long-term solution is moving the router further from the mouse-receiver proximity.

Hope this helps someone else who might be experiencing this problem.

Interesting...I have a Logitech M310 wireless mouse (very basic, has all the functionality I need *smile*), and it works really well. Great battery life, by the way, still on the original battery for the 3 or 4 months I've had it. I had to move the USB receiver from the USB port on the back corner of my laptop to the side closest to the mouse, but it works really well. No problem with the rt-n66u at all.

So it may be the individual mouse? Or the position of the router relative to the laptop and mouse? My router is sitting on the top shelf of the bookshelf behind my computer desk on top of a pile of books *smile*, and the laptop is on the desk. So they're about 3 feet apart, with some wood and paper in between, maybe that makes a difference?

We also have two wireless keyboards (Logitech K800's) that both work fine on their respective computers...they're also in the neighborhood of the router *smile*.

Last edited:
My Logitech G700 mouse doesn't have any issues with my Amped Wireless R10000 and 20000G at all on wireless mode. I switch to wired at night for charging, but use wireless most of the day.