What's new

Port #1 not active..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rirusssma

Regular Contributor
I have this LAN Port #1 on the Router that is not active. All the others, #2-#3-#4 are working fine.

I have switched the cables around and LAN Port #1 is not Active.

Any suggestions on how to activate it?

I'm using FW 3.0.0.4.246.19

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can a LAN port be disabled when changing Firmware?

My LAN port #1 is not working after installing a different FW.

I had the 'official' 260 before.

Any Ideas guys?

Thanks

OK lfbb, I'll try this later tonite .......... once everybody else is off !!!

Thanks ....

Will let you know.

Did try the full procedure as suggested, but LAN port #1 did not come back. I did notice though that the DUAL WAN was ON
wanon.jpg

Did turn it OFF but still No LAN PORT #1.
wanoff.jpg

LAN Port #1 was working well before I downgraded to FW 3.0.0.4.246.19 from FW 260. Port#1 is where the Main PC was.

Any ideas?

Regards.-

Thanks for your help on this lfbb, there has to be some setting in there that we have missed. The DUAL WAN is ON after installing the FW which is not quite right, I believe.. Then there is the VLAN settings which were suggested to check, now, where would those be in this 246.20 FW? And what should they be.

There is something we are missing!!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, before the ultimate 'Send Back to Factory' ....

If after a factory default reset you still have the issue then you probably have a defective port. You can try replacing the network cable just to be sure it's not a cable issue. Also try unplugging all other network devices to make sure it's not an address or name conflict between two devices.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help on this lfbb, there has to be some setting in there that we have missed. The DUAL WAN is ON after installing the FW which is not quite right, I believe.. Then there is the VLAN settings which were suggested to check, now, where would those be in this 246.20 FW? And what should they be.

There is something we are missing!!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, before the ultimate 'Send Back to Factory' ....

Having Dual WAN enabled isn't a problem, you just need to make sure that the secondary isn't set to LAN, in which case it would turn one of the LAN ports into the secondary WAN port.

The only other setting that I know of that could affect port control is if you are using VLANs, in which case port assigning can be modified by the router. Resetting to factory defaults should take care of that, unless you changed that setting before actually testing port 1.

Last edited:
Checked the cables, and unplugged everything else with no avail, still port #1 is not functioning.

The odd thing is that LAN port #1 was working until I switched to the lower FW and was installed which I immediately noticed because that is where the Main PC was. At first I thought the whole router was dead, but the little light for Port 1 was OUT and the rest where on, then I switched ports for Main PC and found out that LAN Port 1 was out.

Well, don't know what else to think, how about going up to 260 again? But there the wireless was horrible. Maybe use an old Router as a switch to get that extra port until they come out with something better than FW 260.

What do you think?

Thanks to all for the help and time.

Regards

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't think of any software issue related to the firmware version that could cause such a problem even after a factory default reset. Last thing I can think of would be to make sure that you didn't accidentally flash an RT-AC66U firmware on an RT-N66U firmware or the other way around.

After reading through this great forum I was extremely careful being sure that I had the correct Firmwares for the RT-N66U; the FW_RT_N66U_B1_3004260, the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.19b and eventually the RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.20.

Will do the upgrade to 260 tonight.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate you input and help.

Regards.-

Well, well ... nothing ! the LAN port#1 is out now. Didn't come back with the upgrading to 260.

The little light for port 1 is working though :) ; it lights up when turning on the Router.

What can I say. :(

Defective port most likely. It happens, takes only a static discharge to burn out a port on a switch.

Well, since nothing else has worked, here's an off-the-wall wild guess. This is pretty unlikely, but what the heck.

Telnet into the router and do

nvram get lanports

If the displayed value is not "1 2 3 4", set it to that. Commit nvram and reboot. Also make sure wanports is 0.

Like I said, unlikely. :rolleyes:

Thanks RocketJSquirrel, for the suggestion.

Merlin, these are very delicate equipment and anything is possible, was always careful on handling. Thanks.

Having Dual WAN enabled isn't a problem, you just need to make sure that the secondary isn't set to LAN, in which case it would turn one of the LAN ports into the secondary WAN port.

Hey, Merlin, lfbb,

I was wondering, considering that my LAN port# 1 is out, if I would Activate/enable The Dual WAN and set the secondary to LAN, would the router randomly select Port#2 or #3 or #4? Does it by default select LAN Port#1?

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Regards.-