What's new

Port Confusion - How to Convert a Wireless Router into Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nogridbag

New Around Here
In the article here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

It shows an image of the AP with a big box that says "DO NOT connect here" pointed at the WAN port.

I have an older NetGear WNR2000 which I was thinking of using as an AP, but in the manual it specifically says to connect the WAN port of the AP to the router's LAN port (see attachment). I would imagine I should follow the router's manual, but I'm curious why there's a difference - my guess is because the WNR2000 has a specific "AP mode". Are the instructions in the SNB article for routers which do not have a specific AP mode?

Thanks!

Attachments

• netgear.png
    netgear.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,319
Yes, exactly...if there's an AP mode in the router, then you will be connecting to the WAN port of the AP. Otherwise, you'll need to connect to a LAN port. The only difference is that you lose one LAN port if there's no AP mode in the router (and the AP mode in the router makes it much easier to configure as an AP *smile*).

I've updated the article to make it clear that the instructions apply to routers that don't have a built-in AP feature.

Yes, exactly...if there's an AP mode in the router, then you will be connecting to the WAN port of the AP. Otherwise, you'll need to connect to a LAN port. The only difference is that you lose one LAN port if there's no AP mode in the router (and the AP mode in the router makes it much easier to configure as an AP *smile*).

Well, some routers with a specific AP mode can also do things like go out to internet time servers to synch their clock, where as most routers without an AP mode can't do that. That might be important to some people.

Same thing with getting firmware updates (IE AP mode, they can do that. Router with no AP mode tends to flail and think there is no internet).

I too am following up on your tutorial at
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

And, as I realize with everything I try to do on my home network, I am a clueless newbie, so please bear with me!

I'm trying to take a short cut, and setup my old router (Belkin FDS8233 (N class)) as an Access Point only.
This unit has an AP only mode. I'm trying to set it up, but getting lost.

Using only 1. the router, 2. HP Win XP laptop and 3. ethernet cable into ethernet port (no other network available, WiFi turned off on laptop)
I accessed router at default IP of 192.168.2.1, and clicked the AP only option. It offered me 192.168.2.254 as the new IP address to use (subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

I accepted those defaults. The router reboots, and I can still use the admin console from my win XP laptop. But ...

To test further, I've connected to an ethernet port on my new modem LinkSys AC1200 EA6350 AND connected to the WAN port on the old router, now configured as an AP. (I did, of course, have to unplug the old router and move it physically, and the ethernet cable to my new setup).

From a cmd-line prompt, I can ping my new router 192.168.1.1. But I get 'Request timed out' for a ping to my AP, 192.168.2.254.
(I also tried overwriting the default offering for AP to match my new router IP range, using 192.168.1.254, but my Win XP setup couldn't "see" that IP address, which should give you a good idea of how limited my understanding of networking and IP addresses is ;-! )

Am I completely mad (about this!), or am I missing a few easy fixes? Other info needed? Other pages to read? Help!!!

I'm sure I'm missing something basic about IP addressing, and would love to take a college level class on this, but if I wait for that, the home home network will be suffering a long time!

------------------
These are just my first steps, I'm hoping to get the AP working at a distance from my new router, via a Smart Switch. So expect more stupid questions if we get this resolved ;-) Currently the Smart switch is working well with my new modem and a Roku box at the far end, so my goal would be to have the AP point hanging off the Smart Switch as well.

--------------------
Thanks for a great website. I've spent 15-20 hrs in the last month going thru all of the Basics articles that are close to my need. I'll be doing the NAS stuff once I get the home network in better shape.

Thanks!

StillLearning (and Suffering!)
Neil

Last edited:
I too am following up on your tutorial at

And, as I realize with everything I try to do on my home network, I am a clueless newbie, so please bear with me!

I'm trying to take a short cut, and setup my old router (Belkin FDS8233 (N class)) as an Access Point only.
This unit has an AP only mode. I'm trying to set it up, but getting lost.

Using only 1. the router, 2. HP Win XP laptop and 3. ethernet cable into ethernet port (no other network available, WiFi turned off on laptop)
I accessed router at default IP of 192.168.2.1, and clicked the AP only option. It offered me 192.168.2.254 as the new IP address to use (subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

I accepted those defaults. The router reboots, and I can still use the admin console from my win XP laptop. But ...

To test further, I've connected to an ethernet port on my new modem LinkSys AC1200 EA6350 AND connected to the WAN port on the old router, now configured as an AP. (I did, of course, have to unplug the old router and move it physically, and the ethernet cable to my new setup).

From a cmd-line prompt, I can ping my new router 192.168.1.1. But I get 'Request timed out' for a ping to my AP, 192.168.2.254.
(I also tried overwriting the default offering for AP to match my new router IP range, using 192.168.1.254, but my Win XP setup couldn't "see" that IP address, which should give you a good idea of how limited my understanding of networking and IP addresses is ;-! )

Am I completely mad (about this!), or am I missing a few easy fixes? Other info needed? Other pages to read? Help!!!

I'm sure I'm missing something basic about IP addressing, and would love to take a college level class on this, but if I wait for that, the home home network will be suffering a long time!

------------------
These are just my first steps, I'm hoping to get the AP working at a distance from my new router, via a Smart Switch. So expect more stupid questions if we get this resolved ;-) Currently the Smart switch is working well with my new modem and a Roku box at the far end, so my goal would be to have the AP point hanging off the Smart Switch as well.

--------------------
Thanks for a great website. I've spent 15-20 hrs in the last month going thru all of the Basics articles that are close to my need. I'll be doing the NAS stuff once I get the home network in better shape.

Thanks!

StillLearning (and Suffering!)
Neil

Every device on a network needs a unique TCP/IP address. Otherwise routing will get messed. Worse when it is the network devices. Don't change the router to match the AP, that just won't work. If your network is 192,168.2.x the everything else in your network should 192.168.2.x. If your router has an ip of 192.168.2.1 then your AP can have an address of 192.168.2.254, that is valid.

It should look like this: router (DHCP Server) - 192.168.2.1 <---------> AP 192.168.2.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.2.1 (that will work).
All your other devices in your network should get an ip address from your router (192.168.2.1). Focus on getting your router and AP sorted out first..

netwrks,

Thanks very much! you cleared up my confusion. "if your network is 192.168.2.x, then everything else in your network should be 192.168.2.x" . Ah-ha!

I did try setting my AP point to match my new router but it confused me that it didn't work (from either ethernet or WAN port) going to my old/test laptop. Now I realize that the old test laptop can't "see" something with the wrong IP.

Also, I did test that config, but I think I didn't wait long enough. After reading your message, I rebuilt the modified AP, and waited! a few minutes before testing and then:

1. I could ping it when directly connected to my new router, and
2. joy-of-joy, the AP also works hanging off my Smart Switch.

So ... case closed? But hmmm, now writing this message, I'm getting a lot of keyboard delay that I don't normally see.
I'll start working my way thru Tim's articles about measuring my internal network speeds. This may be a temporary thing, or it may be the result of having 2-3 too-many windows open in Chrome! ;-)

Thanks very much for your help!

StillLearning(andSuffering!)
Neil

One observation.. You Belkin router only has 100mb ports. So, the link between the Belkin (AP) and your router , or switch will only be 100mb max. The limitation is the device with the slowest port speed.

EDIT: There are .N routers on the market , that can run AP mode, with 1000mb ports.

netwrks

Yes, I was aware of the 100mb port limit on that router. We'll mostly be using it for wifi, which has been working barely OK from 20-30 feet away. I'm hoping that moving it closer will eliminate some problems. The long term plan is to get another as1200 wifi router when we see a good deal.

thanks again for your help and comments!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!