What's new

Port forwarding not working on RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SOLDIERSecondRateRaven

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to forward ports 6881 to 6890 for Deluge torrent client, but despite the settings being correct as far as I can tell, for both the Asus router and Deluge, deluge continues to say the port is closed, and I am ensuring that the stated active port is correct. Canyouseeme also registers the port as closed.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC5300 with Merlin version 384.17. have rebooted the router after each settings change with no effect. I am not using a VPN.

I've tried disabling firewall, NAT acceleration, and QoS, the issue continues though.

I have also disabled windows firewall with no effect. I'm happy to provide any further information requested that may help determine the problem.

ZFxclWY.png

swQpM47.png

uCneOX4

Uw0uaoq

Last edited:
Try forwarding a single port (6881) and seeing if that works.

EDIT: Check it applied correctly at System Log - Port Forwarding.

Is it still showing as closed with canyouseeme.org?

I presume your other port forwards are working OK?
The only other port forward listed appears to be for the router itself, and applied automatically, this is currently the only port forwarding I have activated manually. I can try forwarding something for another device to see if forwards work for those. Will checking from my PC work for any port forwarding, or does it need to be tested from the device in question? If it's the latter, I don't know how I would test the port forward that is there for the router itself.

You have a forward setup for the Plex Media server. Is that working?
Just tested it, it is not working.

EDIT: I didn't add that one manually either, so I'm not really sure why it's in the list. Perhaps its an Adaptive QoS feature? I also added a port forwarding rule for my Playstation 4, and navigated to canyouseeme.org on its browser, and that shows as locked as well. That seems to at least say that the issue is not specific to the PC.

Does your router actually have a public IP address? Check it on the Network Map page.

That's fine then. Just checking the basics.

But if your plex server is running it ought to be seen from canyouseeme.org on port 14534. :confused:
I was trying 32400, but I just tried that one, and got nothing, I don't know if it's important, but every port i try, it's saying that the request timed out. I don't know if that's the normal response to a closed port.

No it doesn't. What would cause that?

Also, I don't know if it's related, but I'll toss it out there just in case; I've always had problems with internet connectivity on this router for anything that connects to the 2.4GHz wavelength, but anything that connects to the 5GHz works perfectly fine. LAN seems okay on 2.4, but there is no internet connection, or if there is one, it tends to be slow and spotty.

EDIT: Wording.

Last edited:
Then it sounds like you don't have a public IP address. You're either behind another router or your ISP is using CGNAT.

What are the first 2 octets of the WAN address shown on the Network Map page?

EDIT: The ONT box that translates to my fibre connection for the outside world, could that be it? It's fairly new tech to me.

That's a CGNAT address. You'll have to talk to your ISP and see if they can give you a public IP address instread.

Getting back to your original problem with Deluge - just ignore the test. My experience with other clients is they can work around double NAT anyway.

Thanks, I'll get on the phone, and see if there's anything they can do for me. Do you happen to have any ideas about the issue mentioned in an above edit where devices connecting to the 2.4GHz have internet connection issues? If possible, I would like to stop using a second router as a 2.4GHz AP. As the second router is in AP mode, it shouldn't be interfering, correct?

Sorry no idea. Probably interference, try different channels and make sure the bandwidth is set to 20 MHz.