What's new

Port forwarding only works on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SA_booley

New Around Here
Running a RT-AX82U with 3004.388.5_0-gnuton1. Port forwarding only works on LAN, not WAN.
Doesn't matter what port I try. Firewall is on. I've got a static IP on the destination machine.

If I switch back to my DDWRT router I have no issues.

Sorry, you'll have to explain what you mean by "Port forwarding only works on LAN". There is no port forwarding on a LAN. Do you mean NAT loopback (aka NAT hairpinning)?

Sorry, you'll have to explain what you mean by "Port forwarding only works on LAN". There is no port forwarding on a LAN. Do you mean NAT loopback (aka NAT hairpinning)?
If I am connected to my local network either via WIFI or hardwire the port forwards work. If I connect to another WIFI or just use mobile data the forwarding doesn't work.

If I am connected to my local network either via WIFI or hardwire the port forwards work.
This is confusing. As I said, there is no port forwarding on a LAN (unless you're using loopback) so I don't know what you're referring to.

If I connect to another WIFI or just use mobile data the forwarding doesn't work.
Are you using a DDNS name or IP address to connect to your router?
Does this IP address match that shown in the router's Network Map > Internet status > WAN IP ?
Post a picture of your port forwarding rules.

Not using DDNS. I have a registered domain that I am pointing to my WAN IP. The WAN IP is correct. Doesn't matter if I use the domain or point directly to the IP. I've opened up the range of port to try and debug, I don't intend to have them all exposed.

openport.png

What device on the local network client device are you forwarding the WAN port's to? A webserver?
As a troubleshooting step you could temporarily place the LAN device you are trying to reach via port forwarding into the WAN DNZ zone as a test to see if it can be reached that way. Obviously ensure the LAN device has a good firewall running to prevent intrusion.
One may need to reconfigure the LAN device, if a NAS or webserver or even a VPN server, to allow for WAN connections that are being port forwarded to it.

Last edited:
Check the port forwarding rules have been applied successfully by looking at System Log - Port Forwarding.

Check the service is currently running on 192.168.50.136. Then test the specific port in question at https://canyouseeme.org/

Its an ubuntu webserver running apache, I've disabled the firewall on it for the time being. Tried to DNZ the IP and it didn't have an affect. The rules are being applied according to the system logs.

rules.png

If I switch back to my DDWRT router I have no issues.
Are you absolutely sure your WAN IP address hasn't changed. It normally does when you switch to a different router as the IP address is often tied to the router's MAC address.

Yes, I copied/pasted the IP from the status page. I restarted the ubuntu webserver and now it appears to be working. Tried that a few times yesterday to no avail. I did reset the router earlier and reconfigured it before I restarted the webserver, so maybe that altered the course a bit. Odd that it had no problems locally. Turned the DMZ back off and it still works so thats good. Thanks ya'll for taking a look at my situation.

Tried to DNZ the IP and it didn't have an affect.
If not working in DMZ mode that pretty much indicates a specific problem or configuration issue with the LAN client device itself (your Ubuntu webserver) and not the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!