What's new

Port Forwarding with two NICS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Mayone

New Around Here
Hello all,
I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 server with two gigabit ethernet ports.
One ethernet port's ip address is 192.168.0.20, and the other's is 192.168.0.21.
If it helps, my router is an Arris TG1672G. I need to forward ports 2302-2305 to this server.
The issue is, I can't forward the same ports to two different ip addresses. So I tried one ip address, nothing. I checked with an online port checker, said it was closed. I tried the other ip address, still nothing. I'm not exactly sure what the issue here is. Is the actual server itself I'm hosting not know which network port it will be receiving data from?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Matt

What service are those ports for? In most configurations, you can control which IP address the server listens to the service on. For most services, it listens on all ports by default. Did you check to make sure the Windows firewall is not blocking the traffic?

To test if you're doing the port forwarding correct on your equipment, disconnect one of the LAN ports.

When you have it working with one cable connected, then you can proceed with getting it to work with both connected.

The issue is, I can't forward the same ports to two different ip addresses

That's correct - with NAT, one port is mapped to IP;Port on the LAN side...

If you're running Web services for example, on two site - you can map it out via DNS and have SiteA on one IP, and SiteB on the other, and manage things that way...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!