What's new

Port Knocking for VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bamsefar

Under OpenVPN server, Advanced settings, there is a Firewall parameter. Normally this is "Auto" - however anyone know how "External" and "Custom" works?

My idea is to get a port knocking set up with IPTABLES, like this one:
https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...knocking-using-only-iptables-on-an-ubuntu-vps

Best, of course, would be if this would be included as an option within the firmware. However I fully understand and respects RMerlins choice of not extending any more functionality into the firmware. So that is why I wonder what "External" and "Custom" is for?

My idea is to get a port knocking set up with IPTABLES
I'm a port knocking fan and I can't understand why it's so rarely used.

Maybe one reason is that there doesn't seem to be a generator tool (which would also have to be the foundation of any UI based approach).

I'd try it on the command line, not in the UI. I was experimenting with isolating guest WLANs by discarding packets in ebtables / iptables and it seemed to work well (although I didn't finish it and the artefacts I found here in the forums are pretty wrong at least regarding my requirements). You can just have the commands run at startup as documented elsewhere.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!