What's new

Ports 22 & 443 open

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirage22

Regular Contributor
Hello,

While doing a normal firewall check to see how the ports are responding (i used GRC's sheilds up test), i see that ports 22 (SSH) and 443 (HTTPS) are open at the router level. Other ports report closed, if not stealth mode like PC firewalls.

How do I protect from attacks targeted via these ports, especially if I have a static IP on my vpn?

Some googling seems to suggest these ports are open on the VPN server of my provider, and perhaps not on the router itself. is that true?

Does it still have implications for me?

Some googling seems to suggest these ports are open on the VPN server of my provider, and perhaps not on the router itself. is that true?

Does it still have implications for me?

You'll have to see if your tunnel provider offers any way to control a firewall at their end, otherwise that tunnel is currently giving anyone a direct access to your whole LAN - not just your router.

i received the following reply from my vpn service provider.

"those ports are service ports, they need a password to use them, one is openvpn one is ssh, these are essential services and is not a security risk in any way whatsoever.

they appear open when connected vpn because services are using them which is normal.

Let us know if you have any further questions."

What is your opinion / effective reply. is this the same case with private vpn / other vpn providers?

i received the following reply from my vpn service provider.

"those ports are service ports, they need a password to use them, one is openvpn one is ssh, these are essential services and is not a security risk in any way whatsoever.

they appear open when connected vpn because services are using them which is normal.

Let us know if you have any further questions."

What is your opinion / effective reply. is this the same case with private vpn / other vpn providers?

No idea, I've never used any of these services (only the freely available vpnbook for test purposes).

I would concur that as long you have a secure login on SSH (ideally you could disable password-based login and use a key to authenticate yourself), that one would be relatively safe. For port 443, you will have to check what's on that port - could be an OpenVPN server, could be AiCloud too.