What's new

Possible fix for unable to access gui with router name?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

john9527

Part of the Furniture
A post in my fork thread triggered a thought.....

Those of you unable to access the web gui using the router name, router.asus.com.....are you using Parental Controls/DNS Filter or in some other way bypassing using the router as your DNS server? In this case, the DNS request will be forwarded upstream to those servers, which will attempt to resolve it. To make matters worse, someone has apparently registered router.asus.com with a DDNS service so you are being sent there....which of course will fail.

Fix would be to add an entry in your client hosts file pointing router.asus.com to your local router address.
For windows users, the file is

Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Someone may want to give it a try.

Last edited:
That problem doesn't affect me, John, otherwise I would indeed test it for you. I can login with the hostname.

I do have the router listed as the DNS server under Global DNS filtering (under Parental Controls).

On the WAN page in the router, I have a Raspberry Pi at local address 192.168.1.100 listed as both WAN DNS server 1 and 2. The Pi acts as a malicious-domain blocking DNS server, and in the first few lines of the dnsmaq.conf file in the Pi, I have the 2 OpenDNS server addresses listed as the upstream servers. (The Pi is listed for "no filtering" in the client list in DNS Filtering - the only such device - otherwise the DNS request never gets to it.)

Typing router.asus.com into a browser brings up the login page.

Question: under normal circumstances - no DNS filtering, WAN DNS lists, say, Google servers or OpenDNS' servers, and router.asus.com is typed into a browser, how does the router know that is a local address and not to push it to Google or OpenDNS?

Question: under normal circumstances - no DNS filtering, WAN DNS lists, say, Google servers or OpenDNS' servers, and router.asus.com is typed into a browser, how does the router know that is a local address and not to push it to Google or OpenDNS?
I believe it's based on your defined domain name. If you enter a just a client name, your domain name is added for the lookup, or you can specify a fully qualified local address with your domain, like client1.home

router.asus.com is fully qualified, therefore if it doesn't hit the dnsmasq hosts file it will be forwarded upstream.

EDIT: I believe in your case it works because your are still using the router as your DNS server...it's just using your Pi as it's upstream server.

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!