What's new

PostgreSQL server on a QNAP NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gobtron

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone ever tried to run a PostgreSQL server on a QNAP box? I know Postgres is available in their repo, but I was wondering if that could work well or not.

Does a NAS work like any linux distro out there? Could you just compile sources? I would install PostGIS with CGAL too.

I was thinking about storing only the cluster on the NAS but I think it would be more robust if the database server was not depending on CIFS/NFS protocol to interact with the cluster.

All this would not happen in a productivity environment. The NAS server would serve as a multi-purpose storage device, backup management, development tool/personal laboratory at home.

Virtualization Station is a better place to be - try to stay away from doing low level changes within QTS itself...

That being said - VirtSta is pretty decent - it's KVM based - so one can install Debian/Redhat based linux distro's and they're pretty much standalone...

QTS is going thru some interesting steps however with Containers... LinuxStation based installs an Ubuntu userland over QTS as a container - it's sandboxed, but not the same as running a KVM image...

They also have the "Container Station" which basically pre-packages some docker images as part of a supported platform.

With regards to PostGres - hard to tell - most of my work is either around mysql or oracle, and I'm not a dba... nothing against postgres, just that mysql/mariadb basically met my needs, and a nice API from php/python/perl...

I have read a few posts about people running PostgreSQL instances inside virtual machines with success. In fact, they were running dozens if not a hundred of instances in different VM with only a little performance drop. They probably have the hardware to back this configuration though... But for use case like mine, I am not really concerned about performance drop... Everything is better than my Raspberry Pi with my little portable USB drive attached to the USB2 port and 100Mb/s ethernet port :p

But maybe you can help me define my needs here... When I started looking for a NAS for my home/personnal/(home office) use, I was looking for a mid-range 2-bay NAS. I am now seriously considering the TVS-671 with 8gb RAM and quad-core i5, which is +1000$ more than I was expecting to pay at first :p

I would run a linux Virtual Machine 24/7 for Postgres, another Android VM for mobile apps development, and a Windows VM for some specific windows-only apps (ArcGIS, which can be quite heavy on ressources). Android and Windows VM would run only when needed.

Meanwhile the NAS would serve as a centralized storage and backups.

Would that be exagerated for the TVS-671? Would the TVS-671 be overkill? Anyway, I like to spend more the first time and not having to by the same thing twice...

I have read a few posts about people running PostgreSQL instances inside virtual machines with success. In fact, they were running dozens if not a hundred of instances in different VM with only a little performance drop. They probably have the hardware to back this configuration though... But for use case like mine, I am not really concerned about performance drop... Everything is better than my Raspberry Pi with my little portable USB drive attached to the USB2 port and 100Mb/s ethernet port

Going into a big NAS like the 671 vs. your DB needs - I'm thinking a NAS isn't the right answer - if you want to play around with db development - then BSD or Linux on a commodity Dell box might be a better answer - and the Dell's are cheap and reliable...

Going into a NAS for other stuff - one really must consider needs vs. wants - the 671 is a real beast - it's spendy, it uses a fair amount of power, but for some, which are not most home users, it's probably overkill - and when you get to that price point - one must consider the other options, and do the cost/benefit analysis based on requirements set above...

A VM on a nas is fine for light DB work as long as you can allocate enough memory to fit the data cached in vm memory.

We run a lot of databases on virtual machines, though part of them have fusion-io disks (not all). Well thought out systems have no issues being on a VM, they can handle tens to hundreds of thousands of transactions per second when optimized.

Obviously the CPU's are not especially fast (opposite really) and IOPS is not high, but it's a good opportunity to also ensure your DB operations are optimised.